40 | OUT OF TIME

Deleted scene from The Avengers

MONTHS AGO

October 2011
Retreat Safe House, UNKNOWN

Steve Rogers had been offered a place of solitude to digest all that had happened to him. SHIELD had provided him with a recreation of what life in the 1940s looked like.

He had spent some time watching several videos he had been a part of back in the day, but he quickly grew tired of them and finally found the will to look at the several files about his friends he had been given.

Dum Dum Dugan, Gabe Jones, Jim Morita, Jacques Dernier, and Montgomery Falsworth files were crossed with a red label, DECEASED. Daniel Turner's also had the same words, with the exception that at the side it indicated he had retired from his service at SHIELD.

All of the Howling Commandos were dead.

He stared intently at the files, solemn, the image of one of the rest left catching his eye. It was Peggy.

She was alive.

He let out a relieved sigh, thankful that she was still around. The file even indicated a number and an address in the UK, unaware the address was a cover for the real one. He glanced at the phone in the room, his joy diminishing once he realised he didn't know how to approach her.  Would he call her out of the blue? He didn't think it was a good idea. So, the idea of a reunion sunk as soon as it came.

He set the paper aside to see the file behind it. Once again, the red label was in the middle of the document. Howard was also dead. At the bottom of the page, the name Tony Stark was labelled as the only known living descendant.

He put the file over the rest to see the next one. The paper was newer than the rest, its page bright white instead of cream yellow. STARK, TONY.

He skimmed over it briefly when the document behind it captured his undivided attention. It was the image of Rosemary. 'Thompson, Rosemary' was capitalized in bold.

Just call me Anne.

The feelings that image caused on him ranged from curiosity to affection to anger.

Rosemary... It's my middle name. It's for...friends only.

In the middle of it in red was written: MISSING IN ACTION.

Steve frowned in confusion and read the file, which didn't state much other than her powers which were more than he originally knew, known languages (plenty) and other strengths. Hydra wasn't mentioned.

It wasn't until he lifted the sheet that he noticed another one as behind it, similar to Tony's the paper was different, newer.

The picture was different, but her face was exactly the same. He glanced at it bewildered.