02 | BLAZING FIRE

July 1943Chicago, United States

July 1943
Chicago, United States.

"Are you ok? Please tell me that he didn't get too far." Crystal blue eyes gazed at her, eyes filled with a kindness that hasn't been directed at her other than by one other person in her life.

Such strange, genuine emotion almost made Rosemary cry but she restrained the tears attempting to fall. However, she reminded herself that she wasn't in Hydra and that she was posing as a smiley and emotional woman. Therefore, she let the tears fall and decided to displace a gamma of emotions from relief to fear whilst trying to convince herself that she wasn't truly feeling any of them and was just playing to be Anne Watson. She knew it wasn't true.

"Uh...yes, I mean no," she stuttered. "I mean. Yes, I'm fine. No, he didn't get too far," she breathed out.

He seemed conflicted in whether he should keep his distance or approach her, so she decided to take a step forward "Thank you," she didn't fake that.

"Are you sure? I can call someone else if you want," she was surprised at his behaviour. Unlike most of the time, he seemed sure of what he was doing. She was impressed by the way he could change his demenour when the situation required it.

"No, no it's fine. I'll be okay."

"Ok, uh, you should go inside then, or I can go inside. Wait, I don't think you should be alone, not that I don't think you can't but—" And there it was.

She smiled at him wiping the tears from her face. "It's alright, I don't want to go inside looking like this." Truth.

"Ok, do you want me to stay or..."

"Yes, please. I don't want to be alone." Lie. She didn't want him there, he was a stranger and although he was looking at her with genuine concern that she received with longing, he was still a stranger and she didn't like showing her feelings to someone she didn't know. She didn't like showing her feelings, period. But she had a mission.

"I can't thank you enough for that."

"It was the right thing to do, no need to thank me for that ma'am."

She raised her eyebrows. "I'm not that old Steve, just call me Anne."

"Oh, uhm...well, hi Anne." He avoided her gaze after speaking.

To say Steve didn't know how to talk or act around women was an understatement but it wasn't really his fault considering no woman other than his mom had bothered talking to him because of his sick body, and when he did find the courage to speak to them, they would find a way to end the conversation as soon as it started.

Matteo had left as soon as Steve threatened to beat him if he didn't go away, but Rosemary knew she'd had to face him early tomorrow. The only reason the agent had left was that he didn't want to cause a suspicious scene. To keep her thoughts away from him and still carry out her mission, she broke the silence before it grew too uncomfortable.