The Volunteer

"Hey Honey!" I jumped as I heard the high voice.

"Mrs. J!" I squealed, giving her a hug.

"Where have you been?!" She playfully slapped me on the arm.

"I haven't had a weekend off from work in forever!" I laughed.

"Do you still work for that magazine? What was it called again? Vogo?"

I laughed. "Vogue."

She laughed with me. "Oh well I'm too old to keep up with all that teen propaganda! Now!" She clapped her hands making a cook next to her jump causing both of us to laugh. "Get on your apron and get to work!"

Chuckling, I walked to the volunteer's locker room. I took off my jacket and put on my apron. I turned around and bumped into someone. I lost my balance and fell. The person was a lot bigger than I had expected.

"Oh my gosh! I am so sorry!!" The person helped me up. Their face was frantic and nervous. He was looking me over for any injuries.

As soon as he grabbed my hand to help me up I started laughing. His worried face softened when he noticed me laughing.

"I'm okay! Don't worry about it!" I said, calming down. "I am such a klutz." When we had both composed ourselves, I noticed that he was actually pretty attractive.

"My name is...."

"Brenton." He looked at me confused. I just laughed and pointed to his chest, "You have a name tag on." He looked down and chuckled.

"Right......" We walked out of the locker room and joined Mrs. J.

"Ohh!!! Good! You met my nephew!" She clapped her hands. Brenton and I looked at each other and started laughing.

I walked past them to start serving when I heard her whisper, "I told you she was pretty. Did you ask her out?"

"I just met her Aunt Julie!" He whispered back.

"Come on! She's gorgeous. She's smart. She funny. She's extremely down to earth. She's always volunteering. She's perfect for you!" She whispered excitedly. Does she really think those things about me? I smiled to myself as I kept passing out meals.

"Okay okay! I'll ask her out after!" He chuckled. I could feel his eyes on me but didn't turn around. He started to walk towards the water bottles before his aunt stopped him.

"No no no. You are handing out meals. With...." She said giggling.

"Alright! I get it! Stop pushing me!" He laughed. I guess she pushed him a little too hard because he pumped into me.

"Sorry!" He exclaimed, embarrassed.

I just laughed, "You apologize too much."

The day went by with us handing out meals and joking around. The whole time Mrs. J didn't take her eyes off of us. We didn't mind. At least we tried not to.

"Hey so ummm," he rubbed the back of his neck clearly nervous. He's so cute when he's nervous. "I was wondering if you'd maybe..... Or not. I mean..... You don't have to....... But it could be fun."

I tried my hardest not to laugh but it came out a soft giggle. "Are you always this articulate?" His cheeks got redder. "I would love to." I smiled.

He smiled a smile that clearly showed his relief. "Cool!" I laughed as I followed him to the locker room.

After we put our aprons away, we did it in silence. As I put my purse over my shoulder my phone began to ring. I sighed when I read the caller ID.

"Everything okay?" Brenton came up behind me.

"No not really. It's my ex. He's been trying to get back together. He hasn't even said it was all his fault. I mean, he's the one that cheated on me. With my best friend." I said the last part quieter. I closed my eyes but reopened them when I felt my phone being taken out of my hand and answered.

"Hello?" My eyes widened as I watched Brenton answer my phone.

"Hello? Who's this? Where's my girl?" I did an unattractive snort as I heard him call me by 'his' nickname.

"Your girl?" Brenton laughed his gorgeous laugh. "She's not with you anymore. She has someone who won't leave her when he gets a better offer because there is no such thing." His eyes softened as they met mine.

"Who is this?!" I heard him get angry.

"None of your business." Brenton smirked. He became 10 times more attractive. Not because of his smirk but because he was sticking up for me. My lips formed a smile as he continued. "You should probably stop calling this number because if you do, I will find you." He was struggling to remain serious.

"And what are you going to do? Kill me?"

Brenton didn't reply. After a few seconds of awkwardness he said, "You better hope I don't find you." He then hung up my phone and handed it back to me.

We both started cracking up. It's weird how I barely know this guy and he's made me laugh more and harder than I've laughed since high school.

"Shall we go?" He asked exaggerating a bow.

I laughed. "Why yes!" I curtsied. With our arms looped together we walked towards his car. He open the door for me and closed it once I sat down. I was reaching for my seat belt when my phone went off again. I decided to actually answer this time.

"What?" I said not wanting to talk.

"Well hello to you too babe."

"Don't call me that."

"Dang girl. Anyway, who the hell answered your phone? It wasn't funny."

Brenton looked at me worried as he got in the car. "Actually, I thought it was hilarious. And it's none of your business who I hang out with or go out with."

"You are not allowed to cheat on me!"

I scoffed. "Seriously? You are one to talk. Just leave me alone. We're over." With that I hung up my phone and blocked his number.

I looked over to see a smiling Brenton. "What?" I laughed.

"I'm proud of you for standing up to him." I just shrugged. He put the car in reverse and drove out of the parking lot.

"He doesn't deserve a girl like you." I smiled as Brenton turned on the music. In the review mirror you could see Mrs.J smiling at the car.