Mr. Quiet Boy

"Okay, so explain it to me again. Why did you break up with the hottest guy in all of NYU?!?" I sighed.

"Brit, I told you. He may be hot but he's an idiot."

"Who cares!!! He's HOTT!!" She said still looking at her phone.

I sighed. She only knows the half of it. "Anyway, I better get going. I'm going to be late for class." I said putting my books back into my bag and standing up.

"I don't get you. You are the most popular girl in school but when it comes down to it all, you're the nerdiest." She scoffed as she rolled her eyes.

"You only know the half of it." I thought. As I turned around I noticed a boy watching. I sighed before walking the other way.

As I sat in physics 101 I doodled on my notebook. Suddenly, the door creaked open. Sneaking in was the boy that had watched me earlier. We made eye contact before he looked away and sat down.

After class, I saw the same boy sitting on the ground up against the science building. He was watching me.

Sighing I walked towards him right as he put his head down. I put my bag on the floor causing him to jump and sat criss-crossed across from him. "Who are you and why haven't you stopped staring at me?"

"You don't remember?" He asked.

I sighed, "Remember what?"

He laughed, "I'll take that as a no." He then reopened his book and started reading once more.

After 3 minutes of nothing I sighed starting to get annoyed. "Are you going to tell me what I don't remember or not?"

He just laughed in response. Wait a minute. I know that laugh. I stared at him longer and harder.

"Hang on." He just noticed how hard I was staring at him. He saw the look of determination on my face and chuckled.

"Figure it out yet?" He taunted. "Rosy."

No way! "Brenton?!?" He nodded. We stood up and hugged.

"Man! How many years has it been??" I chuckled as we sat back down.

"Let's see... I moved in the middle of sophomore year. So 8 years?"

"That's crazy." I said more sad than happy.

"At least you don't remember your horrible nickname for me." He mumbled.

"I don't know what you are talking about B-Dog." I laughed as he groaned.

"Ugh you do remember!!" We both started laughing.

"So Rosebud, what have you been up to in those past eight years??" He said finally closing his book and turning his full attention on me.

"Well umm I graduated high school, barely passed calculus." I chuckled. "Dated a few d-bags that I would've love to had you teach a lesson. Parents got divorced my senior year which made it really hard but I graduated anyway. Not exactly on speaking terms with my parents um....."

"Wait, what?" He asked shocked.

Opps. I forgot he hasn't been around.

"Umm yeah.... October of my senior year my parents finalized their divorce." The scar was still fresh.

"Awww Rosie..." He pulled me close to him and wrapped his arms around me. "I'm so sorry. I wish I would've been there for you."

"Hey!" I pulled away. "It is not your fault my parents couldn't get along. It's not your fault your dad got transferred. It's not your fault you moved. It's not your fault you weren't here."

He reached up and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "I'm still sorry." After a while he finally spoke up. "What happened between them? They use to be so happy."

I sighed. "They were. But when my mom started working it created a lot of tension between all three of us actually. I was busy with school and dance, my dad was always on work trips and my mom started working as a volunteer at a rehab center full time, she even started traveling around the world to help underprivileged teens. They grew apart. My mom thought he had was having an affair with his assistant, which actually turned out to be true. I caught him and his slut at the house when I came home from a dress rehearsal once. I was disgusted I threw a vase at his head, packed up and spent the next week at a hotel until my mom came home. And when she did, she threw much more at him and she went and bought an apartment. They told me I had to choose. I couldn't." Tears started spilling as I remembered all the fights and court cases.

"One day, I ran into your aunt and little cousin at the dance studio. They could tell something was wrong and asked how they could help. Long story short, I  moved in with them so I could finish my senior year without dealing with my parents' bullshit."

"You moved in with Aunt Traci?" He laughed. "She probably loved that."

I chuckled with him. "She actually spent so much time worried about me I thought she was going to have a heart attack."

"Doesn't surprise me. She always liked you." He said looking at me. "And why wouldn't she?"

We smiled at each other. "So what happened after you left?"

"Well umm..." He suddenly started to blush.

"You're blushing!!! Don't tell me. You became the heart throb! You became the hot new guy!"

"You think I'm hot?" He laughed.

"We are focused on what you did not what I said." I said playfully hitting him.

"Anyway, yeah. I guess you could say that. I dated sluts that you would've wanted to ran over with your car. When I graduated, I came here. When I saw you that first time, I couldn't believe it was you! I also couldn't believe your friend group!" He started laughing like crazy.

"I am not friends with them! One of them is my roommate and I always got dragged to things because I was pretty." He stopped laughing just to laugh harder.

I soon joined in. "I've missed you BDog."

"I've missed you too Rosebud."