Fake Boyfriend

"Honey, are you still coming over with your mystery boyfriend??" My mom giggled like a school girl over the phone.

"Of course," I said in my best truthful voice even though I was lying through my teeth.

"Great!!! I can't wait to meet him!!" She screamed, literally, into the phone. She hung up the phone before I could say anything else.

"Shit!!" I sighed putting my head on the table not even caring that I was in the cafe part of Barnes and Noble.

"That's not something you hear everyday from a girls' mouth." I groaned unattractively at the masculine voice.

"Well, I had a very good reason for it!" I said without looking up. I heard the chair across from me scrape the floor as the voice pulled it out.

"What are you doing?" I deadpanned.

"Sitting," he chuckled. "Is that bad?"

"Yes." He chuckled as I slowly lifted my head. "I'm...."

"Brenton." I finished for him. "It's on your coffee." I pointed towards his coffee. "Ella." I said pointing towards mine.

"Nice to meet you, Ella of Frella." He laughed yet again.

"Never heard that one before" I mumbled sarcastically. "Why are you so giggly, anyway?" I groaned putting my head in my hands.

"Why not?" He shrugged. I looked up to see him laughing- shocker.

"You're a cheery person aren't you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" He laughed.

"You probably have the perfect life. Happy family. Happy life. Good career. Probably picture perfect girlfriend who you're parents have adored since she walked into your life. Nothing ever goes wrong. You've gotten everything you've ever wanted since you could speak. No one ever crosses you. Everyone loves you the minute you introduce yourself. You could have any girl at the snap of your fingers. You aren't hideous. You probably are super talented and can pick up on any musical instrument or sport you try. Meeting people and making friends is probably a breeze for you. You're life is nice, simple. Perfect." I sighed putting my head back in my hands.

"Hey," I looked up to see him not laughing but looking at me with all seriousness. "Never judge a book by it's cover."

"My mom would love you," I laughed softly. My eyes widened as I got the craziest idea I've ever had!

"Be my boyfriend!" I blurted out.

"What?!?" He laughed.

"Be my boyfriend," I said again.

"Are you serious? We don't even know each other." He said clearing his throat.

"Well obviously not my real boyfriend."

"I'm confused," he said slowly.

"Okay, look. This is going to sound extremely crazy but you just have to trust me. The past two years my parents have been bugging the crap out of me for not having a boyfriend. A couple weeks ago I just got so fed up with the nagging and the questions that I said yes. Then for those few weeks every time they called, I was never with 'him'. I felt terrible about lying but if you would've been there and seen my mom's face and listen to my dad's hopeful questions, you'd do the same. Probably not, but still. I know this sounds completely insane and completely utterly stupid but it's for one dinner and we can 'break up' in two weeks. I promise, it really won't be that bad. I mean my parents are very friendly, almost too friendly. It's my brother you should worry about though. James is two years older and is married with the cutest set of twins. Benjamin and Bailey. They are almost 5. Ben is about two minutes older than Bailey and even at such a young age he teases her nonstop. They ask the most random question and they have no filter but their cute so it's okay. My family is crazy but you learn to love them. Well umm you don't have to because this isn't real."