The Boy Who Gave Me Courage

I don't talk much. Which my family hates. I don't have any friends. The only thing I do have is good grades. The teachers love me and the students make fun of me. But yet, whenever there is a class project I become everyone's best friend. Much like today in history.

"Alright class, for your project this quarter you'll be allowed to have partners. One partner." I shrunk in my chair feeling everyone's eyes on me. "Before you all jump a certain student, I've already assigned the partners." Everyone groaned loudly. I just continued to doodle the side of my notes. Mr. Johnson started reading off the names.

"Gilbert and Anderson you have the 1980s."

"Marx and Eaves you have the 1920s."

"Stephan and Oliver you have the 1940s."

"Thwaites and Perkins. You two have the 1950s." Wait what?? I looked at the person who was suppose to be my partner. We made eye contact and he smiled. My throat got dry and my hands began to shake. I quickly looked away.

At the end of class, a shadow covered my desk. "Hey, partner." I looked up to see Brenton smiling above me.

"I....... Uhh..... You....." My hands were shaking like an earthquake. I shook my head before putting my nose back in my book.

His laugh interrupted my reading. The chair next to me scraped causing me to jump. "Still me." Awkward silence. "So, we have the 1950s." I nodded too scared to say anything. "Wanna hang out after school? We can figure out what we want to do? We could watch a ton of movies that were set in the 50s" he suggested causing me to smile. How did he know I loved old movies?

"Sounds......fun." I stuttered out. I mentally slapped myself. Why am I such a ditz??

"Cool. Your house would probably be better. My mom has her book club tonight. Is that okay?" I shook my head, then nodded. I bowed my head in embarrassment.

"How do you get home?"

"I.......uh....um.....w..wa....walk." I finally got out.

"That's actually really cool, Perkins!" He laughed. "I can give you a ride home." As if on cue, the bell signaling the end of the day rang. I grabbed my stuff before standing up and walking out.

"Oh! Hey! Wait up, Perkins!" Opps. I forgot he was coming over. How could I forget the hottest guy in school was driving me home and staying? Weird. It must be some sorta ironic backwards world or something.

We quietly walked to his car. The farther we walked, the more whispers followed. I gripped my book tighter wishing the ground would split and swallow me up. Finally, we got to his car. A gorgeous old fashioned pickup truck.

"Nice Ummm car." I whispered.

"Thanks!" He smiled, opening the door for me.

"Brenton!" Said a giggly high annoying voice. I looked towards the voice and wanted to shrivel up and die. It was Angela the cheer captain.

"Oh umm hey Angela." He said awkwardly.

"Ew. What are you doing with the mute?" She sneered.

"We're going to her house to work on our history project. She has a name and she isn't a mute." His last sentence came off harsh.

"You could do so much better!" She flirted stroking his chest making me want to gag.

"Mmmmmm no. You wouldn't be better." He said moving her arm like it was a disease. I let out the laugh I was holding. "See! She can talk! She has an amazing laugh." My cheeks burned red.

"She..." Angela started.

"Just stop. You don't know her. And you should. Goodbye Angela." She tossed her hair over her shoulder before turning on her heels and walking away. I blinked in surprise. Did he really just say that to her about me??