The PlayBoy and His Nerd

"Sup nerd!" I groaned.

"You know I have a name, Brenton."

"Yeah and you know I don't like to call you that." He laughed.

I rolled my eyes as I turned back to my book. "What are you reading anyway?" My book was ripped out of my hands.

"Hey!!" I jumped up in protest. He held my book above my head, knowing I couldn't reach it.

"Come on, geek! Jump!" Brenton teased.

"Please," I whispered holding back tears. Noticing that I wasn't messing around he gave me my book back.

"You okay?" I shook my head. I could see his fists tighten. "Who?"

"What?" I barely got out.

"Who upset you?"

"It....no..." I couldn't wrap my head around on his sudden change of mood.

"Who hurt you?!?" I jumped at his outburst.

"No one!" The tears feel freely. I sat down, put my head in my hands and cried. The cushion next to me dipped down.

"Hey," he shushed. "What's wrong? You can tell me." I looked up to see a small smile on his face.

"My dad came home this morning drunk. He's leaving my mom!"

Brenton pulled me in for a hug and rubbed my back. "I'm...... I'm scared to go home. My mom went to work this morning but my dads still at home, drunk. I'm afraid he....he'll hit me."

"I'm not going to let that happen. I promise."

After I had calmed down, he walked me home. We stopped at the front door. "Do you want me to come in with you?"

I shook my head and took a shaky deep breathe. "I'm be fine...... I hope." I said the last part quietly before opening and closing the door behind me.

"Is that you daughter?" I cringed.

"Yyyeah."

"Don't stutter! Where were you?"

"I was at the library." He waddled into the front room.

"Don't lie to me!" He yelled. I screamed as I hit the floor. I laid there holding my now red cheek. He then preceded to kick me. Suddenly the door bursted open.

"Get away from her!" I looked to see Brenton standing in the doorway. I could tell he was about to do something rash. 

"Brenton...."

"Who do you think you are barging into my home?!" My father scoffed as he kicked me one last time. I screamed in pain. Brenton swung and punch my dad in the face. My dad waddled backwards before drunkingly falling over the couch.

"Are you okay?" Brenton tried to move me but I screamed out in protest. "Don't worry. He isn't going to hurt you anymore. I called the police. You're going to be safe." He leaned down and kissed my forehead. I grabbed his face, stopping him from backing up.

"Promise?" My voice broke.

His lips touched mine. When we pulled apart he whispered breathlessly, "I promise. No one hurts my nerd."