Chapter 23

Day: 400

Days Left: 5080

Lives Saved: 2

"This is a bad idea," mumbled Harmony as she reluctantly walked alongside Corinna. She would not have come along at all if it weren't for Corinna looping her arm through hers. To Harmony, any sort of awkward social situation was worth it if she got to do that.

"It'll be okay, Harm," said Corinna.

"I know I said I wanted to make amends and everything but maybe we could do it another time? Wait a bit longer, like maybe a year or so?"

Corinna laughed then smiled up at the young woman. "Harmony... I promise it'll be alright. And if things go out of hand and they attack you, Calixte can put them to sleep."

The amphibian waved as he heard his name mentioned.

"You think they'll attack me!" Harmony panicked.

"No, no! That was a joke!"

Harmony pouted. "You sure?"

"I'm sure!"

Still doubtful, Harmony bit down on her bottom lip. She reached for her jackal mask, but Corinna stopped her.

"They won't attack you, Harmony."

"It's just in case!"

Corinna placed a reassuring hand on Harmony's. "It's the chimaera that they're wary of. Perhaps if they saw the true you, if they met Harmony instead of the chimaera, they won't be so afraid."

Harmony made a reluctant grumble of agreement.

The trio soon arrived at the small cave near to the ocean. Sat outside on the sand was Dex, Kai, and Klei. As they saw them approach, they all stood up; their eyes fixed on Harmony.

Kai whispered something to Dex.

"Hey!" Corinna waved, beaming. Her greeting was met with an amicable reception from the three men.

After she shared a few more pleasantries, she followed Dex into the cave, leaving Harmony and Calixte outside.

The amphibian formally introduced himself and easily sparked conversation with Klei and Kai. Harmony, however, remained at the sidelines, fidgeting and looking down at the ground. She occasionally dared to glance up at Klei, remembering the damage she had inflicted upon him, Kai, and countless others all in the name of survival.

Meanwhile, Corinna and Dex talked to Wendy, who appeared happy to see the golden blonde-haired woman. After the wendigo had been fed, she introduced Corinna to all of her soft toy animals, announcing their names and personalities. She attempted to offer Corinna one, but the young woman politely refused, not wanting to take away one of Wendy's friends.

Eventually, Corinna and Dex exited the cave and returned to see Calixte, Kai, and Klei conversing whilst Harmony, after all this time, had still not plucked up the courage to join in.

Corinna's plan had failed. She thought that, by leaving them alone, Harmony would attempt to fix the broken bridge between her and Klei and Kai as she had wanted.

Sighing, Corinna joined in on the conversation, along with Dex.

After a while, Klei looked back at Harmony, noticing the young woman glance at him from a distance. Steeling himself, he walked over to her, then crossed his arms.

"It's Harmony, right?" he asked.

Unprepared for the sudden social interaction, Harmony hesitantly replied, "yes."