Chapter 58

Day: 667

Days Left: 4813

Lives Saved: 3

Klei continued to encase the golden knight's arms in clay, preventing her from hurting anyone further. But what should they do now? Talking to her was futile and it didn't seem like she was going to detransform any time soon. Should they knock her unconscious and hope that she'll return to her ordinary self when she awoke?

"Good work, Klei," said Dex as he pointed his lance at the golden knight's throat. "Didn't think you'd be the one to defeat her since you lost to Corinna when she had no mask at all."

The clay golem's hollow eyes drooped into a frown. "Well, she doesn't have a duvet this time."

"She won against you with a duvet?"

"Doesn't matter," Klei snapped. "We need to keep her detained."

"I have some rope," Salim piped up, having finished treating Sumit's wounds.

Clarence hopped over to the old man and retrieved the rope that was in Salim's shoulder bag. The velociraptor then returned and handed it to Calanthe and Kai.

With much hesitation, the minotaur and the goblin edged closer to the golden knight with the rope.

As soon as they got close, the golden knight crouched her legs and hurled the clay golem still attached to her hands, at the minotaur and the goblin, knocking them both to the ground. Originally her captor, the clay golem was now the golden knight's weapon as she threw Klei at her opponents, knocking them away.

Rin fired an arrow at the golden knight but she merely pulled Klei to take the hit instead, the arrow barely sinking into his clay body.

The force of being hauled around eventually caused the clay encasing the golden knight's arms to crack and break off.

Now free, the golden knight retreated away from being surrounded and, this time fully got rid of the forming mushrooms on her legs. The headless horseman, the clay golem, the hunchback, and the velociraptor charged at her, but once again the golden knight was untouchable no matter how much they worked together. Though Jackson, Dex and Klei's attacks were slow, Clarence nimbly darted around the battlefield and attempted to slash at the golden knight's legs with his talons, which the golden knight only just managed to avoid, but she also had little opportunity to attack herself. Risking almost getting struck by Dex, the golden knight focused her attention on the speedy velociraptor. With one swift kick, the velociraptor slid across the sand, his body falling limp and still as blood oozed from his head. Clarence clawed at the sand with his paws, attempting to stand up but collapsed and clutched his chest, feeling a sharp pain from his broken rib.

With the minor annoyance out of the way, the headless horseman, the hunchback, and the clay golem were easy and slow targets. Though the hunchback's bloated skin acted as armour and buffered attacks, the golden knight aimed for Jackson's legs, her deadly kicks breaking and crippling him and Jackson fell to the ground.

She shepherded the headless horseman around the battlefield, forcing him to twist and turn constantly, especially as Dex tried to prevent the golden knight from reaching his severed head again. Dex felt his horse's ankles sting in excruciating pain as if he could collapse at any moment from how exhausted they were from the repetitive turning. But Dex persisted through the pain, failing over and over again to strike the golden knight with his lance. That was until something snapped. One of the horse's ankles had finally fractured and the headless horseman stumbled and collapsed onto the sand, unable to get back up.

The three imps cried out seeing Dex defeated. They raised their spears and chanted in a high-pitched fury, about to charge at the golden knight but Salim, Sumit, and Rin stopped them.