Chapter 52

Day: 667

Days Left: 4813

Lives Saved: 3

The blood moon's effects had finally worn off. So, after everyone in the enclosed pits had transformed back into humans, regaining their minds, they were let out.

When Sumit had returned from the ocean, Corinna talked to him about the sandwyrm tunnel expedition. Much to their relief, Jessica had reacted in the blood moon, attempting to drag her broken body as she was drawn to her missing limbs, which meant that they must still be intact. If they were intact, they could repair the marionette doll, allowing her to transform back into her human self safely.

Not wanting to waste any time helping and healing Jessica back to her human form, Corinna prepared to set off immediately for the tunnel alongside a small group. Feeling also responsible for Jessica's condition and abandoning her, Sumit was the first to volunteer.

As they would be inside an underground tunnel, Corinna thought it wise to have only a small group. Though she knew that they would refuse, Corinna wanted to try at least and ask Pearl and Daina as both of them had masks that would be incredibly useful underground. Pearl could transform into a giant mole-rat, which could dig its own tunnels, and Daina as a banshee would be excellent at reconnaissance as well as luring the giant sandwyrm away from the others as she was incorporeal. Her shrieks were loud enough to draw in the sandwyrm.

Much to her surprise, Pearl and Daina both accepted.

"Really?" Corinna frowned in confusion.

"Of course, darling," said Pearl, her tone becoming bitter. "Why would we lie about helping you? There's hardly any amusement in that. I would have come up with a far more devastating lie than that, one that would certainly pull at your heartstrings." A slight malicious grin flickered on Pearl's lips before she smiled sweetly back at Corinna.

A chill shot through Corinna's body. "Um..." she hesitated. "So, you'll help Jessica?"

"Yes, yes." Pearl sighed. "How many times do we have to repeat it? Why do you still question it?"

"Well, I didn't think you would gain anything from it."

Pearl made a fake offended gasp, her hand over her heart in shock. "We simply want to help her from the bottom of our hearts. We require nothing in return. Isn't that right, Daina?"

Daina nodded, her expression as indifferent and bored as always, but there was a slight sense of sincerity in her simple response.

"I have visited the darling Jessica, and that is no way to live," continued Pearl. "She is forever stuck in that horrible garment, and the only way to free her is to turn her back into a human."

Corinna paused. "You mean, you want to help her because of her clothes?"

"Why, yes," Pearl scoffed. "Have you not seen that dress and the apron? And to make matters worse, it is attached to her puppet body and cannot be removed. So even if you cover it up, she will always have it underneath." Pearl shuddered at the thought.

"I thought the dress and apron were cute."

Pearl looked Corinna up and down with a judging eye and a smirk. "Well, we have... different tastes."

Ignoring the insult, Corinna returned the conversation to the matter at hand. "Anyway, I am truly grateful that both of you have decided to help. With your masks, we should do fine down in the sandwyrm tunnel. This won't get in the way of your duties, though, will it? Will Princess Alfreda be alright with your absence."