Chapter 65

Day: 701

Days Left: 4779

Lives Saved: 3

"How are you feeling today?" Wendy asked Klei as she sat down by his bedside.

"Slightly better than yesterday," wheezed Klei, his voice gravelly and crackling.

"That is good to hear!" Wendy beamed. "What story do you want? I'll go get it!"

"You know, you don't have to stay by my side the entire time, Wendy," said Klei. "I'll be alright on my own for a few hours; I don't mind, truly."

"No, I'm going to look after you." Wendy adjusted Klei's blanket. "Just like I did last time."

"But last time, you weren't allowed to go outside. I know that you're still here even when I'm asleep; you don't have to do that. You can go outside and talk to everyone else."

Wendy glanced down at the floor and mumbled, "but Corinna is outside."

"Corinna isn't going to hurt anyone, don't worry. It was just her mask controlling her. None of us can help that, can we?"

"Yeah," Wendy sighed. "I suppose I used to be like that."

"But you've gotten a whole lot better."

Wendy nodded, smiling, then it faded. "But Corinna had done this to you before when she didn't even have a mask."

"She was in her right," Klei groaned, remembering back to his defeat. "I attacked her first, and she defended herself. Please, Wendy, don't blame Corinna."

"Okay, Klei." Wendy pouted, still not wholly forgiven Corinna.

"I thought you liked Corinna? Didn't you say she was your best girl friend?"

"Not anymore." Wendy shook her head. "It's Calanthe now. We have a lot in common; we both like cute things.

Klei laughed, then was silent for a moment, gazing at Wendy. "I think I was wrong before," he said. "I thought that it would only make things worse for you if you were around other people, that you would be overwhelmed. But, it seems it was the opposite. Your meeting and interacting with other people have actually helped you."

"Klei..." Wendy held his deformed hand.

"I'm sorry for keeping you locked away for so long. So, please promise me that you'll go outside and talk to people. I'll be fine on my own for a while, okay?"

There was a knock on the door.

"I'll go answer it," said Wendy, giving Klei's hand a quick squeeze before letting go. She skipped over to the front door. She always enjoyed having guests. Wendy opened the door. "Calanthe!" Her smile then faded as she saw Corinna standing next to Calanthe. "Hello," Wendy mumbled reluctantly, remembering what she had promised to Klei.

Corinna gave a small wave, unable to retain eye contact for long.

"Corinna bought over Harmony's special healing salve for Klei," explained Calanthe, putting on a big smile to power through the awkwardness.

Corinna held up the jar of healing salve.

"Thank you," said Wendy, accepting it.

'How is Klei?' Corinna wrote her whiteboard hanging around her neck, then showed it to Wendy.

Wendy held her head high. "He says he is feeling better."

'Could I see him?'

Wendy sucked in a quick breath, her lips pursed, then answered, "I will ask him."