Chapter 12

Day: 296 (Food Drop-Off)

Days Left: 5184

Lives Saved: 1

"So, you think that this Lawrence guy is really going to pull through?" asked Rin.

"Clarence," Corinna corrected. "And well... I'm not sure. But there's still hope, right? More hope than before."

"I suppose." Rin sighed. "But this time we stick together. We're stronger in numbers. Don't go stomping off to go negotiate like before."

The group continued to wait at the food drop-off point, standing at the edge of the large stone circle. For a long moment, it seemed that no other group was arriving until eventually, six figures appeared in the distance. Later than normal, the fire demon's group made their way towards the stone circle. Their leader sat upon an ornate chair that was carried by the minotaur. Once they had reached the edge of the stone circle, the chair was lowered down to the ground carefully. The jet of smoke and ash that spewed out of the fire demon's mouth seemed more erratic and unstable than before. Its eyes, a smouldering haze of fire, were focused upon Corinna

Her fingers fidgeting with her hair, the young woman glanced away but still felt the fire demon's gaze on her. Harmony gave her a reassuring smile and squeezed her hand, settling Corinna's nerves.

Soon the last group arrived, that being Bryce's. When they got closer, Corinna's eyes widened, breath stagnant. They had a new member. Though they walked behind the tall Jackson and Dex, she managed to catch a glimpse of the newcomer: a middle-aged man with copper-brown hair and tanned skin.

"That's not a good sign, is it?" mumbled Corinna under her breath.

"Nope," replied Rin, clutching her bow tighter.

Bryce's group continued to walk to the stone circle, at least at first it seemed that it was their destination but moments later they changed their course. They were heading straight towards Corinna.

"Is that a good sign?" asked Corinna through gritted teeth.

"I don't fucking know any more," answered Rin.

"Stay somewhere safe, Calixte," ordered Corinna. "We don't know what their purpose is yet but if they plan to fight, they'll aim for you first again."

The amphibian nodded and moved to the back of the group, hiding behind Sumit.

As Bryce's group approached, the imps formed a protective barricade at the front. Reggie snarled, baring his teeth but then whimpered and cowered behind Harmony after Bryce gave the rottweiler a sideways glance.

The shaved-headed man stopped a few metres away from Corinna with his lackeys at a distance.

Corinna glanced over and saw Clarence, about to wave to him when she saw his face. The young man's back was hunched over, his arms folded and huddled together. He stared down at the ground, avoiding eye contact. Dex and Kai were also doing the same.

Riley was wearing her signature leather jacket from last time only now it had a lightning bolt badge pinned to the front. And just like before, in her hands she carried a baseball bat with nails spiking out of it, more nails than last time.

The tall bulky man, Jackson, let out a long sleepy yawn then wiped his nose with his sleeve as he gazed absentmindedly up at the grey sky.

"Well," began Bryce. "Clarence has told me all about your peace treaty idea and honestly I was almost on board." He smirked. "Almost..." Bryce cocked his head and looked Corinna up and down.

Corinna shifted on her feet, her hand clutching her spear tightly.

"I like the idea. I like everything about it... except the part that involves you." Bryce narrowed his eyes at Corinna and then looked over to Harmony. "And her."