Chapter 40

Day: 566

Days Left: 4914

Lives Saved: 3

Clarence stopped at the front door to his house, his hand about to open it when he gazed over at the newly constructed building that was positioned far from everyone else's homes. Only a few days ago had it finally finished being built, though, of course, Corinna always insisted on making improvements to everything. It was where the water nymphs were now being kept, having moved from Calixte's house to their very own abode.

Sucking in a breath, Clarence made his decision and headed towards the nymph building. He hesitated at the entrance, where a makeshift door made of a large piece of wood leaned. Steeling himself, he closed his eyes to combat his nerves and entered. "Hello?" he squeaked. "Sorry to bother you." Clarence looked around and saw ten water nymphs lying on the floor, some on mattresses, others elevated on cushions.

Calanthe and Salim were tending to them, with Reggie by their side, wagging his tail. Meanwhile, Corinna was packing a small chest of drawers with tools, clothes, and other pieces.

The three of them all turned as Clarence entered the room.

"I was wondering..." Clarence's throat seized up, but he worked through it. "If I could help?"

Corinna smiled. "Of course, you can. Any help is welcome."

"Thank you." Clarence bowed his head slightly. "Um, so what can I do?"

"If you don't mind, you could help administer the healing salve," said Calanthe.

"Sure, I can do that." Clarence kneeled beside Calanthe as she gave him a jar of clear jelly-like substance, then showed him where to rub it in.

"With this, the water nymph should heal quicker," explained Calanthe.

"What is it, exactly?" asked Clarence. "I've never seen anything like this before."

Calanthe shrugged. "I'm not sure myself. Harmony found it. But whatever it is, it has remarkable healing capabilities."

Clarence looked down at the water nymph in front of him. The creature was not what he was expecting. He remembered before when the first three nymphs arrived how they writhed and tried to eat anyone close by. But now they were calm. Their breathing was still staggered, their lungs damaged from being underwater so long, but they no longer seemed like mindless monsters now. Parts of their skin were healing and had colour in them instead of a ghostly white.

After he scooped up some of the healing salve onto his finger, Clarence's hand hesitated before the water nymphs. He flinched as the creature gurgled and groaned when he approached.

"It's okay," said Calathne, giving him a reassuring smile. "They won't hurt you." She guided his hand over to the nymph's peeling skin and rubbed the salve into it. Once Clarence was no longer afraid, Calanthe let go, and the young man continued to heal the nymph's injuries.

Within seconds, the mottled and peeled skin repaired itself and brightened, no longer ashen grey but a warm shade of peach.

"Unfortunately, this can't heal their internal injuries," explained Calanthe. "We can't help repair their lungs. They'll have to wait until the Eternal Abyss returns them to normal. But at the very least, we can soothe some of the pain, even if it is just a little."

Clarence nodded with a weak smile.

They continued to tend to the other water nymphs, then afterwards, they had a food break. Having finished packing the dresser with supplies, Corinna left to complete another job around the village, leaving Clarence, Calanthe, Salim, and Reggie to nurse the nymphs.