Chapter 34

Day: 543

Days Left: 4937

Lives Saved: 2

"Morning!" Dex called out, knocking on the door to Wendy's bedroom. "Got breakfast!" He opened the door, entered, then closed it behind him. "You sleep alright? You getting used to the bed yet?" The man looked around the room and found the wendigo huddled in a corner, hugging the soft toy giraffe, whispering something into its ear. He then glanced over at the bed, barely touched. "Don't like the bed?"

Wendy shook her head. "I prefer sleeping on the floor," she mumbled.

Dex shrugged. "Hey, whatever makes you comfortable." He set the bowl of steaming food in the middle of the room and then sat down, a certain distance away.

Eventually, Wendy shuffled over in front of the food, her nose wiggling and scrunching up from the smell.

"It's the same as before, Wendy," said Dex. "Same food, just slightly different, better even."

"I know..." Wendy gazed at the steam billowing upwards and wafted her hands through it, creating shapes.

"You get plenty of sleep?" asked Dex, leaning casually back.

"I didn't go to sleep," replied Wendy drearily. "I was waiting for Klei. He always tells me a story. I can't sleep without a story."

"Klei didn't visit?" Dex scoffed. "Of course he didn't..."

Wendy raised her head, her hand shaking above the hot steam from the food. "'Of course'? Does he no longer want to see me?" her voice squeaked.

Dex humphed. "He's too busy looking after those nymphs." He spat out the word like it was venom.

"Do you not like the nymphs?" asked Wendy, cocking her head to the side. 

"I am fine with them being dragging them out of the ocean so they're not drowning, but any more help than that..." Dex tuttered and shook his head. "They're down there for a reason. The worst of the worst. The things those creatures did, why they're imprisoned in here... we shouldn't be coddling those monsters like Klei is."

"Coddling?"

"Klei and Kai and a few others are giving them shelter, tending to them, keeping them like pets. Helping them though they don't deserve it for what they've done." Dex paused and glanced at the floor, his fingers fidgeting with the fur rug. "I don't know... maybe if any of them are like Calixte and are just traitors, then they can stay. But I want the rest gone." He cleared his throat and looked back to Wendy. "Sorry for unloading all this on you, Wendy. You don't need any more worries on your mind."

"So..." Wendy hesitated. "Will Klei visit soon?"

"If he doesn't stop fretting over those-" Dex bit down on his lip and held his tongue. "Sorry, I'm still..." He sighed. "I'm sure Klei will visit soon. He's just busy at the moment, probably making sure everything is fine with nymphs, making sure they're all settled before he can with good conscience leave them alone in someone else's care. You know, just how he wouldn't let me look after you by myself."

Wendy paused, then slowly nodded.

"Kai will visit you," said Dex as he stood up. "And I'll visit later on too. I've got work I need to do."

"Work?"

"Helping with construction. I owe it to everyone that made this house for us, so I've got to help build other houses in return. It'll be the same for Klei and Kai. I'm sure they'll come over to see you soon. But for now, I suggest getting some sleep."