Chapter 2

Day: 191 (Food Drop-Off)

Days Left: 5289

Lives Saved: 1

The trio trekked across the wasteland of the Eternal Abyss, over white dunes and scattered rocks. As they ventured further towards their destination, the sand faded into a dry grassland where stubborn flora grew up to their ankles.

"We're going to have to fight again, aren't we?" asked Corinna.

"Yeah," sighed Harmony. "I do miss having first pickings. But I guess without my mask I have to squabble over it like everyone else."

"How did you manage to survive so long having to fight over food, Calixte?"

The amphibian cleared his throat then pointed to his antennae as it uncurled from the top of his head.

"Ah." Corinna nodded. "I suppose that makes everything easier if you can just put people to sleep."

"Unfortunately, my ability does have a limit," explained Calixte. "I suppose it needs to... what was the word you use? Recharge?"

"So, you can't just make everyone fall asleep while we nab all the food?"

"Afraid not, Miss Corinna. Three people are the maximum."

They continued onwards, the grass slowly becoming greener and taller, no longer brittle and grey. After trudging up a slope, the trio finally reached their destination; a flat piece of land where numerous stones and pebbles were arranged in a large circle.

It appeared that they were the first group to arrive as usual.

Clutching tightly onto their weapons, the trio waited in anticipation.

The next group to arrive was the horned fire demon and its five human companions that kept their masks attached to their belts next to their sheathed swords. Today, the fire demon wore a turquoise blue in the form of a flowing silk material that draped its tall body, the veins of fire that flared from its rock skin glowed through it. The demon's allies were also wearing matching turquoise capes and uniforms.

With a short motion of the hand, the demon signalled to one of its companions, a middle-aged woman with mousy brown hair and fair skin, who had been carrying a cushioned stool with her. Corinna recognised this to be the woman whose mask allowed her to transform into a giant mole-rat. The woman placed the stool down on the ground, and the demon took a seat.

Tilting its head to the side in interest, the demon studied with its infernal eyes from the other side of the stone circle, focusing on Harmony and Calixte.

A moment passed, and two more figures arrived and stood on the outside border of the circle. It was the red-hat wearing goblin and a dark-skinned middle-aged man carrying a mask resembling a knight's helmet; the Headless Horseman. The two shifted uneasily as they caught the fire demon's glare.

Another pair of prisoners appeared, one of them waving enthusiastically at the trio, the other shrinking in embarrassment.

"Hey!" Sumit called as he bounded over and patted Corinna on the shoulder. "And how are we all on this delightful afternoon in the Eternal Abyss?"

"Splendid," answered Calixte.

"Good good." Sumit clapped his hands together. He turned around to find that his friend was still slowly making her way over. "Come on, Rin!"

Rin groaned and picked up her pace, then stood in front of the group, tucking her long black hair away from her face. "Hello," she said half-heartedly.