Chapter 32

"I already know," She said smiling at me. I felt my face drop seeing the blood drip from her nose. She pulled out a small hanky and wiped the blood from her nose. I pulled her into my chest. I couldn't be sure how much longer she and I have. Until then, I just wanted to keep Piper in my arms. I heard her chuckle as her head leaned on my chest.

"How can you laugh?" I asked curiously, "Most humans would break down into tears and hysterics." Another chuckle escaped from her lips.

"You should already know, I'm far from normal," She said to me. I felt my lips curl into a smile. My smile dropped feeling my strength fading from my legs. I could feel myself growing tired and sleepy.

"Would it be alright if we sat down?" I asked, trying not to worry her. I hate to be the one who has to go first. She nodded and sat against the wall. She patted the empty space next to her and smiled at me. I sat next to her and wrapped my tail around her waist and pulled her close. Her head leaned on my shoulder. I could feel my eyelids growing heavy. It felt as if I had spent too much time awake and I needed to rest. I suppose the humans thought the same thing about me. A chuckle escaped me. I gripped Piper's hand. She squeezed my hand in return. "I'm going to take a nap," I said, yawning. Piper squeezed my hand tighter. I could hear her sniffling.

"Go ahead," She said trying to keep her voice from breaking, "I'll be there when you wake up," For some reason, I felt my eyes well up. I looked over at Piper to see tears streaming down her face. I kissed her forehead.

"I love you," I said before drifting off.

Piper P.O.V

"I love you," He said before shutting his eyes. I felt my eyes widened. I whipped my head to look at him. His eyes were peacefully shut. I placed my fingers on his neck but felt nothing. My lip quivered as more tears streamed down my face.

"I love you too," I stammered. I kissed his cheek before letting out all the tears I had stored for Meruem and for Isaac. The only comfort I had is that I would see them again very soon. My tears stopped flowing sensing someone watching me. "Who's there?" I said. I couldn't keep my voice from breaking. I stood up in front of Meruem. I could feel blood dripping from my nose and my eyelids getting heavy. I wasn't going to let anyone harm him. I'd fight until my last breath. I struggled to stay on my feet as strength was quickly fading from me. I couldn't even activate my nen. For a moment, I saw something shiny in the darkness of the hallway.  "What the hell?" I muttered. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my collar bone. I fell to the ground. "If this is how I die, so be it," I thought to myself, quickly falling to the ground, allowing myself to fall into darkness.

To my surprise, I woke up in a bed in a strange room.

"How... How am I alive?" I thought to myself as I sat up. I looked around the room with a strange sense of familiarity. I sat up from the bed. I pinched my arm and twisted. Feeling pain, I let out a deep breath.

"This isn't right," I said to myself, "I should be dead,"

"Yes you should," I heard in a monotone voice. I looked over to see a tall man with long, black raven hair. His eyes were enormous with no emotion. I recognized those eyes.

"Illumi?" I asked, "Is that you?"

"It's been awhile, Hashiri," He said sitting on the bed, "I suppose I owe you an explanation," I nodded, almost scared to know what happened. "I extracted you from the palace. I gave you and myself an antidote for the poison.

"Why?" I asked shocked, "I was supposed to die there!"

"You should consider yourself lucky. My grandfather seems to have a soft spot for you. Don't waste his kindness," He said, keeping the same tone. There was a knock on the door. He stood up to open the door. Standing in the doorway, stood Zeno.

"I see you're awake, my child," He said before turning to Illumi, "Give us the room,"

"Yes, Grandfather," Illumi said, leaving the room and shutting the door behind him. Zeno turned to me.

"You seemed surprised," he said to me.

"I apologize, sir but I'm afraid I am. I was prepared to die there. I was a traitor to mankind. I shouldn't be alive," I said.

"I agree," Zeno said, "However, Chairman Netero paid me to make sure you stay alive and that's what I did," I felt my shoulders drop.

"He knew I'd stay..." I thought to myself as tears streaked down my face.

"Now then," Zeno started, "I want to know everything about your mission. Every single detail. If you leave anything out, I'll see to it you get your wish for death," I nodded, deciding to comply. I began to tell him the story of how I met a King.

The End