Chapter 6

The next few days I spent by the king's side or training in the courtyard. Pitou seemed to enjoy watching my training, seeing as how she was always the one to accompany me in the courtyard. Every once in awhile, I'd glance around and find the king watching my training. Anytime, I'd catch a glimpse of him, I'd put on a little show for him. I'd showcase my nen to the best of my ability. I'd create fire people to practice my swords skills on. They could do damage to me. I could make them as fast as me or as powerful as me. Never both at the same time. It made it easier to practice speed, strategy, and endurance. Usually, by the end of my training, I have burn wounds all over my body from my fire people. During the middle of my training, Youpi came out to the courtyard.

"Piper," He called out nonchalantly. I immediately deactivated my nen and withdrew my Jian. I could hear Pitou sigh at the end of my training.

"Yes, Youpi?" I said as if I were acknowledging a higher-up.

"The king would like a word with you. He is in the throne room finishing a gungi game with Komugi," he said. I nodded and began the short trip to the throne room. While I was walking, I could feel someone following me. I turned around and scanned every square inch of the hallway. Then, I saw something moving. It was very small. Almost minuscule. I could've sworn that it looked like a smaller version of Pouf. I turned back to continue to the throne room. I began thinking about the three guards.

"I know about Pitou's ability but I know nothing about Youpi's and Pouf's abilities." I thought to myself, "Maybe that was Pouf. His ability is probably shrinking and growing." It made perfect sense. "It's painfully obvious that Pouf doesn't trust me nor does he ever have the intention of trusting me. I'll have to watch what I say and do around Pouf." I reached the throne room. Komugi was leaving. As she walked past me, I released a small amount of blood lust towards the girl. I retracted the bloodlust with a split second. I approached the king's throne and kneeled. "You requested my presence, sire?" I said making not to make eye contact.

"Yes," he said nonchalantly. His voice was sprinkled with the intent to instill fear. "Stand," he commanded. I stood up with the shoulders back, eyes forward, and feet together. "Hold both of your hands out with the palm up and close your eyes," he said in a somewhat gentle tone. I did as he said. Although, I was slightly hesitant to close my eyes. I could feel his hands under my own. They were surprisingly warm. I could feel him moving each and every one of my slender fingers. He gently made my hand into a fist. The king proceeded to hold my right hand in his. I could feel my hand become sweaty. I took a deep breath to calm myself. He gently opened my hand again. He traced his fingers over mine. He proceeded to do the same thing to my left hand.

"Open your eyes," he said sternly. I opened my eyes. He was standing very close to me. He was peering into my face, studying every feature. His eyes were so focused. I felt like I was being analyzed bit by bit. He slowly rubbed my back in one stroke from my lower back upwards. He studied my charred clothes and the burn wounds on my limbs. He ran his fingers over one wound in particular. It was the largest. The top layer of the skin was gone. I needed to treat it soon or it would become infected. He hummed to himself. "Go have Pitou heal your wounds," he commanded once more. I silently bowed and went to find Pitou.

Meruem was sitting on his throne. He was thinking about Piper's human physique. He sighed in annoyance.

"How long are you going to keep spying, Pouf?" Meruem asked irritatingly. Pouf gathered himself and appeared before the king. He kneeled before Meruem apologetically.

"Forgive me, sire. I don't trust that human alone with you. What if she tries an attempt on your life?" Pouf asked worriedly.

"You doubt my strength against a mere human?" Meruem questioned angrily.

"I would never insult you in such a way, sire." Pouf replied, "If I may ask, sire, what were you doing with her?" Pouf looked up at the king in curiosity.

"I was studying her physical features. She's doesn't have features like other ants. No defensive features." Meruem said as he thought about her small hands in his.

"Well sire, she does have her nen and sword. She seems to be nearly an expert in swordsmanship and in her nen." Pouf said as he stood up.

"I'm aware of her skill level. I have seen her train before. It would look like she trains herself very hard. She allows her skill to harm her." Meruem said as he thought about Piper's training.

"It allows her to figure out where she could possibly get killed." Pouf reasoned. Meruem sat still. Pouf could see the gears turning in his head. Then, a smile appeared on Meruem's face.

"I have an order for you," Meruem said to Pouf.