Chapter 1

This is the story of how I had come to meet a King. He wasn't at all like the gentry I had read in books. There was nothing noble about him, how he rules, or how he came to be. He ripped through his mother's womb fully grown but with little knowledge. He was born with three devoted servants. He was far from human. In fact, he was considered an ant. A tyrant. A dictator. To me, at first, a monster. I looked at him with fear. Fear that I kept hidden deep down inside. I made sure to remain calm, emotionless, composed, and cold in front of him, his servants, and many others like him. It took me a while before I threw away my facade. I'm still not sure if I did the right thing to throw it away. However, I refuse to regret it. He frightened me when I saw his mother. I was there as she uttered his name with her dying breath. Meruem. I don't think I could ever forget his name. Even if I hadn't met him, his mother's pronunciation and tone would still ring in my head. Meruem. A king to rule all ants and end the human race. Of course, that's how most of us saw it. I was no different. Meruem. I never thought he would impact my life the way he did. I'm glad he did. I could never forget our time together. No matter how much I try.

Isaac Netero. The chairman of the hunter's association. The most powerful nen user in the world. He found me as a child. I was seven years old. He gave me food and I begged him to take me with him. He smiled his old, cocky, and mischievous smile. He said, "If you're going to stay by my side, I'm going to train you every day until you're second to me. If you so much as complain once, I'll toss you on the streets and never look back." It didn't take me so much as a second to nod my head. I ran up to him and grasped his hand. I made sure to never let go until we reached his home. He was very old when he found me. Every time I dared to ask his age, he'd make me do one hundred push-ups. When I was fourteen, he made me take the hunter's exam. If I failed, he was going to kick me out. I made a few new friends during the exam. Four of which, were all young guys. They were all teenagers like me. Their names were Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio.

I met two older men there as well. They intrigued me from the start. Their appearances were very strange. Murderous auras were constantly leaking from their bodies. One of them was dressed like a jester. He had pink hair and very pale skin. His eyes were a beautiful yellow. He loved playing with his cards. His name was Hisoka Morou. He always tried to scare me away with death threats. Hisoka's nen piqued my curiosity. He couldn't get me to leave no matter how hard he tried. His intense murderous aura would send a chill down my spine. I've certainly felt worse from Isaac. I remember Hisoka's sly voice asking me why I wasn't scared. All I could do was chuckle. My chuckle turned into full-blown laughter. I shook my head and continued to hang around him.

The other man was named Gittarackur. When I had met Gittarackur, his appearance was horrible. For a short while, I hated having to look at him. Gittarackur had saved me during the third phase of the exam. I was too reckless and overly confident with myself. It nearly cost me my life. A knife was thrown in my direction. It happened to be in a blind spot. Gittarackur deflected the knife with his needles. He told me that I reminded him of his brother. He proceeded to lecture me about my awareness. I felt there was something off about Gittarackur. I remained cautious around him.

Three years had passed since I had taken the hunter exam. I turned seventeen. I was nowhere near second to Isaac. One day, I was training as I did every day upon returning from the hunter's exam. Isaac approached me and told me that we were going to NGL. On the way to NGL, Isaac explained to me about creatures called the Chimera Ants. These creatures consumed any and every animal. Then, the queen happened to eat a human. Thus, giving birth to humanoid Chimera Ants. She must've given birth to hundreds of these humanoid ants. She also developed a taste for nen users. She, then, gave birth to ants that could innately use nen. Soon, all chimera ants were able to use nen. By the time that Isaac and I had reached NGL, some of Isaac's other subordinates had already arrived. I looked down at the queen. There was a hole where she would carry a baby until she birthed an egg. I couldn't stop staring at her. Doctors tried to save her. However, it proved no use. She lifted her arm and reached towards the light. "His name is Meruem." uttered the queen in her dying breath. Her arm fell to the ground. Her heart stopped. She was gone. Isaac ushered me outside to train while he talked with his subordinates.

While I was outside, I decided to train using my nen. Once I had mastered the basics of nen, Isaac had me take the water divination test. I found out that I am a transmuter. I'm able to turn my nen into a fiery substance. I, also, practice conjuring objects from my aura. I've been trying to master a flaming sword. It's definitely proved to be difficult. Isaac decided he wanted me to practice swordsmanship with a Jian. It's pretty much your average sword. During the middle of my training, Isaac approached me. He had a serious look that I've never seen before. It worried me quite a bit.