Chapter 4

"Come, human. I have a gungi match that I prefer not to miss. You may watch." he said as he walked off.

"Thank you, sire," I responded. I followed the king. I could feel two stares at my back. One felt curious, intrigued, innocuous. The second felt suspicious, uncertain, highly guarded with a hint of death. We all entered the throne room. I saw a little girl with pure, white hair in odd-looking pigtails. I could hear her sniffling. "Is she here against her will?" I thought to myself. I looked at her and realized that she was blind. A gasp escaped from my mouth.

"Is there something wrong, human?" asked Pouf with suspicion laced in his voice.

"No. I'm okay," I responded calmly. Meruem sat in front of the young girl. He took a quick glance at me before turning to the girl.

"How would you like to make a bet?" he asked the girl, "If you lose, I'll take your arm."

"That sounds good but if I may, I'd like to use what I usually bet," she said. Her voice was stuffy due to her runny nose. Meruem was slightly taken aback with interest.

"What do you usually bet?" he asked.

"I usually bet my life," she said ever so calmly. I felt my eyes involuntarily widen. The royal guards and Meruem's eyes widened as well. "You see, supreme leader, gungi is all I've ever been good at. All the championships have made me the breadwinner in my family. Without gungi, I am useless and a burden. I would prefer to die than be a burden to my family." I stared at the young girl. I wanted to hug her and tell her she shouldn't ever tell herself that. However, I've put on a cold stare that displays hatred for everyone. Meruem sat in silence. He was in complete shock. I watched as he slowly and calmly put his right hand to his left arm. He, then, proceeded to rip his own arm off. Drops of his blue blood landed on the girl's face.

"SIRE!" yelled Pouf as he rushed to the king.

"W-what's happening?" asked the girl frantically.

"I have insulted you. As an apology, I have removed my own left arm." Meruem said ever so calmly and nonchalantly.

"What?!" the girl said in shock.

"Sire, we have to treat this immediately. Come with me-" Pouf was cut off by Meruem's tail colliding with his face and sending him flying.

"I'm not going anywhere. You start, Komugi." Meruem said sternly.

"No!" she said, "I'm not starting until your wound is healed." The king grits his teeth and puts the tip of his tail to her neck.

"If you don't play, you die." he said in a threatening tone, "I won't ask again." The girl, known as Komugi, stayed her ground. She refused to play. The king groaned in annoyance.

"Please, sire," begged Pouf.

"Go get Pitou, human," Meruem commanded.

"Yes, sire," I said bowing before running to find Pitou. I ran through the halls and found Pitou sitting on the window ledge. "Miss Pitou," I said. She turned around to face me.

"What is it, human?" she replied easily.

"The king requires your assistance immediately. He's injured." I said feigning panic. Pitou's eyes widened. She raced to the throne room. She was gone before I could realize what had happened. I, myself, ran back to the throne room as fast as I could. When I got back, there was a doctor reattaching Meruem's arm. I looked closer and realized that it was attached to Pitou's tail. I sat next to Pitou and watched intently as the doctor was reattaching Meruem's arm.

"It's called Doctor Blythe." She said softly to me. I turned to Pitou, who was smiling at me. I returned her smile.

"Your nen ability is fascinating, Miss Pitou," I said with pure interest.

A little while later, the match had ended and Youpi had come back with a Chimera Ant known as Alligator. I could already tell from his overly buff body type, he's an enhancer. Alligator kneeled before Meruem.

"You requested my presence, sire?" Alligator asked.

"Yes," Meruem said calmly, He turned to me and smiled. "Fight the human. The winner will be promoted to a royal guard." Alligator looked at me and smiled evilly.

"It'd be an honor." Alligator said as he looked at me, "Get ready human. You're about to die."

"Human," said Meruem.

"Yes, sire?" I asked.

"Show me you're worthy of fighting for me," he said with a grin on his face. I grinned back.

"As you wish, sire," I said. I drew my Jian and approached Alligator. Youpi stood between me and the ant.

"This is a deathmatch. The winner will be promoted to royal guard..... Begin!" Youpi shouted.