Chapter 23

"I was looking for you," I said matching Pouf's glare, "I wanted to try your hand at another game of chess." Pouf's eyes turned from suspicion to condescending and arrogant.

"I already proved to you that you are, intellectually, no match for me nor will you ever be," Pouf declared and tried to walk past me.

"I need more proof," I said standing in Pouf's way. Pouf grit his teeth and clenched his fists.

"I don't have time for your foolishness. Stand aside, human." Pouf growled.

"I think you're scared of me, Shaiapouf," I said refusing to move. Bloodlust and anger began to leak from Pouf. My knees were turning weak. I was terrified that Pouf would notice. "I think you fear that you will underestimate me and it will come to bite you in the ass," I said praying that I wouldn't stutter or show signs of fear. Pouf sighed irritatingly.

"One match," He hissed narrowing his eyes at me, "I'll give you one match and nothing more." I wanted to smile, winning the first of many battles both verbally and of patience. I followed Pouf to the tower where we had previously spoken. He pulled out a chessboard and set up the pieces, giving myself the black ones.

"I just need to stall for a few more minutes," I thought to myself, as I set my pieces up one by one.

"I know what you're doing," Pouf smirked, "You have a little friend down there, don't you?" I felt my blood freeze. My stomach began tossing and turning. I could feel my face losing blood. My heart was pounding in my chest.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I replied nonchalantly. Pouf smiled evilly as he released his aura. I watched it flow like water underneath the door. The hairs on my arm and the back of my neck stood up. The room turned cold. I could feel the goosebumps rising on my skin. "It's not even directed at me," I thought to myself, "If Knov feels it, not only will Pouf know his location, Knov's mind will be shattered,"

"You can go rescue your friend," Pouf said gesturing towards the door. I stared at the door. I wanted to go save Knov, but if I go, I'll be giving Pouf the evidence he needs to claim I'm a traitor. I sighed, deciding that I'm going to put my trust in Knov's skills. I'm a distraction. Not a rescuer.

"I don't have a friend," I said as I placed my last piece on the board, "White moves first," Pouf's evil grin did not fall. Instead, his smile grew as he released an enormous wave rushing to the bottom levels of the palace. I didn't move. I wouldn't let him intimidate me. Pouf grabbed his knight, moving it two spaces above the rook. I already knew that ten minutes had passed since my encounter with Pouf. I was certain Pouf didn't sense anyone. If he did, he would've left the game immediately. I could only assume that Knov has safely made it outside.

The game had ended with my failure. Pouf's arrogant face was only the icing on the cake.

"As I said, You're no match for me intellectually. Clean this mess up," Pouf demanded as he strode out the door. I sighed in relief that he was gone.

"I have to be extremely careful when I deal with Pouf," I thought to myself, "He's always looking for some sort of clue that I'm a traitor. I can never let my guard down around him," I picked up the pieces and put the game away. I walked down to the second floor. I tried looking for the portals Knov told me about. I was only able to find two. It was right next to the staircase and one right outside the palace walls. Having not been summoned by the king, I decided to do some training. The sun had sunk past the horizon and before I knew it, night had come about. I went back inside. As I walked to my room, I heard a bird screech come from the room before mine. I kicked the door open and saw a bird attacking Komugi. I drew my sword and cut the bird down. I turned around to see Meruem standing at the door. He rushed past me and kneeled in front of Komugi.

"Look at you! You have cuts everywhere! Why didn't you call for help?!" He exclaimed. I felt my chest tighten seeing him so attentive to the girl. My grip tightened on my sword. I took a deep breath before placing my sword back in its sheath.

"Piper," Meruem said. I kneeled before him as he approached me. "I want you to be Komugi's personal guard," I internally groaned.

"Yes, sire," I said making sure to mask the disappointment in my voice.

"See her wounds. I don't want her to get an infection," He said before leaving. The disappointment on my face was more than present. I felt a bit grateful knowing she couldn't see the disdain on my face.

"I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused, Miss Piper." She croaked. Her voice was stuffy and her nose was leaking. I was repulsed by her. I sighed placing a handkerchief in her hands.

"Don't worry about it. Blow your nose," I demanded. She smiled as she clenched the rag in her hands and blew her nose like a trumpet.