Chapter 13

Piper P.O.V

I entered the throne room. Pouf’s words rang in my mind.

“You’ve earned a minuscule amount of my respect,” I mumbled. I stopped before letting out a cackle. “Minuscule, he says. Next, to nothing, he means.” I said as my voice was ringing in the halls, “Better than nothing, I suppose.” I continued to walk down the hall.

After what felt like an eternity of listening to my footsteps echo in the hall, I reached the doors of the throne room. I quietly opened one of the doors and weaseled through. I stood at the side of the room watching Komugi and Meruem playing gungi. It reminds me of playing chess with Isaac. I’d stand no chance of winning but he managed his skill to where I was able to believe I had a chance at winning but in the end, he’d win without fail. However, my skill did grow. I remember I almost beat him but I got too arrogant with my skills and he used that to his advantage and won.

“I don’t quite understand this game,” I thought to myself, “It seems rather complicated.” I was so wrapped up in my thoughts, I didn't even notice Meruem stealing glances at me. Not until I accidentally made eye contact with him. His lips curved into a smile.

“Piper,” he spoke solemnly, “Sit next to me.” Without missing a beat I nodded.

“As you wish, sire,” I replied as I slowly moved across the room as sat next to the king but at a respectable distance. I sat with my legs crossed over each other. I stayed in silence and bewilderment as I continued to watch their game and try to figure out the rules. In the midst of my bewilderment, I felt something snake around my waist. I glanced down, trying not to move my head, and I noticed the king’s tail was wrapped around my waist. He began to pull me closer to him. I could feel myself sliding across the floor. He leaned down towards me. I could feel his breath on my ear.

“You’re going to be my good luck charm,” he said. His breath sent a shiver up my spine. I felt a tingly sensation on my waist where his tail is still wrapped around me. I wanted to twitch. Bounce my leg, tap my fingers on the floor, wiggle my nose, anything to distract me from that tingly feeling. I glanced over at Meruem, his eyes quickly met mine. The grip his tail had, tightened. He made a slight smirk before returning to his game. The doors to the throne room opened. I looked up from the game to see Pouf entering the throne room. His glare was met with my cold gaze. I wanted to laugh. His head looked like it was about to explode. I made no movements. I looked back to the game making sure to make no smug faces or teasing gestures.

“You better have a good reason for interrupting, Pouf,” The king growled. Pouf snapped back to his formal demeanor. His growl shoved a sense of fear down my throat. I could feel my aura change. I suppose Meruem did too. He subtly placed his hand on my leg. My fear melted and my need to twitch came rushing back to me. 

“My apologies, sire,” Pouf said as he bowed, “I was looking for the human.”

“She’s busy. Whatever it is you need, ask Youpi or Pitou,” Meruem responded, “If that’s all, leave us,” Pouf glanced back at me with pure malintent in his eyes.

“Yes, sire,” Pouf said.

“I guess that minuscule respect is gone,” I thought to myself as I went back to watching the game that ended in the King’s loss. I guess I’m not as lucky as the King wishes.