Chapter 15

I lightly graze my fingers over my lips as I replayed the scene in my head. My heart was racing. My face felt hot. 

“Piper,” I heard a voice from behind me. I quickly turned around to see Pitou staring at me in curiosity.

“Yes, Pitou?” I said as I bowed my head. 

“Are you alright? You’ve been standing there for some time now,” she said as she tilted her head.

“Did she see the king kiss me?” I thought to myself,

“If she did, she might’ve brought it up by now.” I nodded my head and regained myself. “I’m alright. Just lost in thought I suppose. Did you need me for something?” I asked curiously hoping she didn't see much.

“I wanted to clean your wound. You can’t serve the king if your wound gets infected,” she said as she signaled me to follow her.

“Isaac wouldn’t approve if he knew what happened…” I thought to myself as I followed Pitou back to my quarters, “I can only imagine his disapproval look. The only time he gave me such a look was when I skipped training. He showed me his malintent. After that, I never skipped training again. In fact, I’m I trained myself harder after that.” I let a small, inaudible sigh escape me. The more I thought about it, I realized I never had much of social life. I was either training or at Isaac’s side. “I wonder if he’s okay without me.”

Meanwhile, Isaac was preparing himself for the battle he was about to take place in. He stayed in his room meditating. Growing his nen. Disrupting him was a knock on the door.

“Enter,” Isaac said as he reigned in his nen expecting Piper to come in with food and water.

“Pardon my intrusion, sir,” Bean said as he entered Isaac’s room with a tray of food and water, “It’s been a while since you last ate.” A small laugh erupted from his belly.

“Thank you, Bean,” Isaac said as he began to eat the sandwich on the tray.

“I know Miss Piper usually brings you your food. Sorry if my cooking skills aren’t as great as hers.” Bean said as he bowed. Isaac continued to eat the sandwich. True Piper’s cooking was better than Menchi’s and he did miss her cooking. Normally, she’d come in with a plate of pasta and chicken.

“This is fine,” Isaac laughed.

“Do you think she’s okay out there with those beastly creatures?” Bean questioned a little worriedly. Bean was the only person who’d see Piper’s nicer side. Everyone else, including Isaac, continued to get her stern, cold stare that could freeze hell over. Isaac couldn’t help but be worried too. He knows Piper is strong enough to handle a few measly ants here or there. However, he sent her to the belly of the beast. 

“I trust her abilities. Strength impresses the king. I’m sure she’ll prove quite useful to him.” Isaac said. As the days passed since Gorteau, Isaac did find himself missing Piper.

“I still remember when you brought her here.” Bean said as he reminisced his first meeting with the stern girl, “I’ll never forget that distrustful look in her eye, nor will I forget how it changed since she’s been here. You did an amazing job raising her. Should she surpass you, I know she’ll be a great leader.” Isaac smiled.

“I’m sure she will surpass me one day. Although, I doubt she’ll want to be in a leadership position. I was considering offering her bounty hunting. Her stealth is impeccable. She’s almost as fast as the Zoldyck’s hunting dog.” Isaac said proudly. Bean shivered as he remembered that dog. It almost thought Bean was a chew toy.

“You think she’ll do better in bounty hunting?” Bean asked through the shiver. Isaac nodded as he chewed his sandwich.

“She knows how to hunt both animals and humans. She can kill mercilessly as if she were a Zoldyck. She never ceases to amuse me. I wish I can see what she’ll do in the world.” Isaac said.

“I’m sure you will, sir. No one has defeated you and I doubt anyone will,” Bean said happily as he exited the room and closed the door, leaving Isaac to his thoughts.

“I’d like to believe that I will. But I’m sure my path ends soon.” Isaac thought to himself and he stood up and began to prepare himself to enter into NGL.