Chapter 7

I found Pitou sitting on a window ledge looking out at the desert that surrounded the palace.

"Miss Pitou," I said. She turned her head and looked at my direction. Her eyes found my burn wounds on my arms. Then, she looked at me and waited for me to speak.

"Can I ask you to heal my burn wounds?" I asked in a gentle tone. She hopped down from her window ledge and looked over my arm.

"Your skin is so soft, human," she said as she ran her fingers along my arm. I tried not to flinch as she ran her paw-like hand over my burn wound. "I can heal you."

"Thank you, Miss Pitou. By the way, you can call me Piper." I said nonchalantly. I smiled an average smile at her. It was enough to get her to smile back at me. She's never seen me smile so she'd never recognize a real smile from me. "It seems that she's getting friendly around me." I thought to myself, "It should be easier to gain her trust." Pitou activated doctor Blythe. She put a disinfectant on my burn wound and wrapped them up. I didn't feel any pain. I could move my arm and touch it without feeling any sort of stinging pain. After Pitou had healed me, I went to my room to change out of my charred clothes. I looked out my window. The sun was setting. I decided to stay in my room for the rest of the day. I fell asleep on my window ledge.

When I woke up, The sun was blinding. It's rays poked at my eyes forcing me to open them. I narrowed my eyes and turned to get off the window ledge. I rubbed my eyes and opened them all the way. It took me a minute to process where I was. Then, I remembered the mission of Isaac. I put on a black tank top and some sweatpants. I went out to the balcony and found Youpi looking out. He quickly noticed my presence.

"Hello, human," said Youpi.

"Hey," I replied. I stood over by Youpi and looked out at the desert.

"I've been wondering. Why do you hate humans so much that you'd help in their extermination?" he asked curiously.

"As a small child, I was on the streets to defend myself. I was defenseless. Every day was a struggle to survive. Every night I went to sleep thinking about if I'd wake up to see the next day or not. No one ever came to help me." I said aloud. I could feel a pair of eyes on me from behind me. It wasn't a malicious stare, nor was it a harmless one. It was curious. It was listening to every word I was saying. "Older men would use me for my own pleasure and throw me back out. They never had good intentions when they offered their hand to me." I could feel my anger boil and rise. My body was engulfed in my nen flames. "They're all greedy. They're all pigs who don't care about anyone else. There is no such thing as a good human. They all deserve to die!" I yelled angrily. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I quickly quenched my rage. I turned around to see who was behind me. My eyes widened. Youpi and I quickly kneeled before the king.

"Is there something you need, sire?" Youpi asked. I kept my eyes on the floor and my mouth shut. I could feel Meruem's penetrating stare at me.

"I'd like to talk with Piper alone." The king said.

"Yes, sire," Youpi said before making a swift exit.

"Is everything alright, sire?" I asked.

"Stand," he commanded. I stood up and kept my eyes on the floor as a servant would when in the presence of her master. He moved next to me and looked out at the desert.

"Look, Piper," he said, "Soon, the entire palace will be flooded with humans. They will serve as food for us ants. It'll be a slaughter field just for you." My eyes widened. I turned to look at Meruem. Before I could speak, Pouf came out onto the balcony holding something in his arms.

"I have it, sire," Pouf said as he kneeled and offered up the odd object in his arms.

"Thank you, Pouf. Now leave us be." Meruem said sternly. Pouf and I made eye contact. He glared at me before turning to walk off. Meruem handed me the object in Pouf's arms. I held it and looked at the king.

"What is this?" I asked curiously.

"How will you know if you don't unwrap it." he quickly shot back. I hastily unwrapped it. It was a metal hand. It covered the top half of my arm and hand. I slipped it on, tightening the straps on my arm and my fingers. I wiggled my fingers. The fingers on the metal claw were sharp and pointed. Almost like little daggers that moved in perfect sync with my own. It was so shiny and easy to move. I was speechless. I looked at Meruem who was still looking out at the desert. I couldn't contain my excitement. I hugged him. That was the start of it all. That split second where I lost control of myself was the start of everything. Do I regret it? No. I quickly jumped back in the realization of what I was doing. I kneeled before him.

"My apologies, sire. I lost control of my emotions. It won't happen again." I said before dismissing myself to play with my new toy. I quickly went to find Pitou to see if she'd accompany me to practice on some of the trees in the forest.