Chapter 14

“You may go back to your room to rest,” Meruem instructed. I turned to leave but Meruem grabbed my arm. “Not you,” he spoke in a sinister voice.

“Oh crap,” I thought to myself without turning around, “He sounds pissed.” I slowly turned around. I tried desperately to mask the fear in my eyes. My eyes met his. From what I can see he wasn’t angry. “I guess that’s just how he sounds.” 

“How is your arm? I hear the stitches will be removed shortly,” he asked me as he turned to sit in his stolen throne.

“Pitou said that I’ll have to pause my training or I’ll tear my stitches,” I said with more confidence. He peered into my eyes and didn't look away. I stayed in the same spot from where he grabbed me.

“Come closer,” He spoke and he reached his hand out to me. I approached his throne and kneeled as I placed my hand in his. I stared at it. His hand didn't feel scaly like it would a snake or rough like a beetle. It felt soft. Almost like I was touching human skin. I couldn’t feel the maliciousness through touch. I could see it in his face when all the other servants are around.

However, when I am alone with him, that’s not the case. There is a sense of softness that I’d never expect from someone like him. 

“He’s fighting with himself,” I think to myself, “There’s a part of him who wants to rule above all with no one to challenge him, but there’s also a part of him I cannot explain. Maybe it’s a human side. Maybe it’s a virtuous side. Or maybe I’m still too naive. I’d like to believe someone can’t be this cruel. But at the same time, I’ve experienced much crueler things. What is that softness I keep seeing?”

“Are you going to answer me?” the king asked me, ripping me from my thoughts.

“I’m sorry, sire. Can you please ask me again? I believe my ears have deceived me.” I say to him to hide the fact that my mind was elsewhere.

“I shall only ask again. Don’t test my patience,” he growled.

“That softness is gone.” I think to myself making sure to pay more attention to him.

“Who is the human to be sent to battle me? I know you have basic knowledge considering the powers you have.” I could feel my insides shake. I know Isaac will be sent. I don’t know much about his nen or the ability he uses in battle. I can’t give much information even if I wanted to. However, I have to play my role. I’ll say the name. Nothing else.

“The most likely human to be sent is Isaac Netero. He is known by all nen users, He’s is known as the most powerful nen user in the world. Although, I’m sure he won’t be much of a challenge for you, sire.” I say meeting his fuschia eyes. He smiled proudly down at me. He stood from his throne and walked towards me. He pulled me to my feet and grabbed my chin with his thumb and index finger. He brought his face close to mine. I could feel his breath lightly graze my lips.

“With my good luck charm at my side, I’m sure I’ll be victorious,” he said as he placed his lips on mine. I could feel my belly begin to fill with butterflies. My hands and lips tingle at his touch. I could feel my cheeks heat up. He pulled away and smiled at me. He left me there speechless in the throne room alone. 

“What is happening to me?” I think to myself.