Chapter 2

"Piper Hashiri," he said. I felt a chilling wind blow past me at the tone of his voice. "It's time for you to prove your worth." I put my sword in its black leather sheath. I turned to face Isaac with my back straight and a composed look in my eye.

"Give me my challenge." I dared to say. Isaac held his serious look as I held mine. Then, this old man burst into laughter.

"You're always so serious. I could never speak to you without that intense look on your face. Even as a young child you hardly ever smiled." Isaac said with a genuine smile on his face as he continued to laugh at my seriousness. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. He always dismissed my seriousness. I couldn't lie. It bothered me quite a lot.

"Does that mean you don't have a challenge for me?" I said maintaining my serious tone.

"I never said that." he cooed in a mischievous tone. Isaac put his hand to the back of his head and sighed with a hint of sadness that I've never heard before. "You are to infiltrate the king of chimera ants' castle. Become a royal guard under the pretense that you are a traitor to mankind. Your goal is to get the king to lower his guard so I can exterminate him."

"Yes, sir." I said as I bowed my head as a sign of my loyalty, "Where can I find his castle?"

"You'll find his castle in East Gorteau. How you infiltrate will be up to you. If I don't see you again," Isaac pulled me into a hug and held on tightly, "I am proud to call you my daughter." His words touched the core of my being. I couldn't help but smile as I hugged him in return.

"You don't have to worry. I refuse to die. I'm alive because of you and in spite of the world that was once against me. I won't throw away your kindness by dying." I said as I hugged him, "Thank you for everything you've done for me, Isaac Netero." I let go and smiled a genuine smile for him. Little did I know, he wasn't talking about my death. I began my journey to East Gorteau. My words, "I refuse to die," kept playing over and over in my mind. "That's right," I said to myself, "I'll see you again. I won't die."

As I ran through the NGL, I crossed paths with minor chimera ant guards. I pulled out my Jian and cut them down almost instantly. Nothing was going to keep me from succeeding. I continued to run until nightfall. For rest, I climbed into a thick tree and slept on a branch. I was never a heavy sleeper. I always slept with one eye open. That's what you had to do when you were young like me and had to survive. I slept for three hours before getting up to start moving again. I didn't want to sleep for any longer than three hours. I didn't want anyone of the commander ants to find me and kill me. I maintained my zetsu. I hid my real nen abilities. That way, when it comes time for me to prove my worth to the king, I can show him what I can really do. I doubt his guards will let me within him so easily. I'll have to earn their trust first and foremost before I am allowed anywhere near the king.

"I am a traitor to mankind. They all left me out on the streets to rot. They hardly ever glanced my way to help. They all deserve to die." I muttered to myself. I had to make sure I was convincing. I couldn't have any holes in my act. "They're all fat, greedy assholes who only look out for themselves. They won't help you without something in return. Be it money, sex, or reputation." It may be an act, but my hatred for most of mankind was real. "They left a defenseless little girl on the streets to die." I felt my rage boiling and bubbling under my skin. I took a deep breath and calmed myself down. "I need to stay hidden. Animals can sense emotions. No doubt they can sense my emotions as well. I can't leave myself open for attacks. I'm not sure how strong the commanders are. If I do find one then, I could test my own strength against one." I thought to myself. I shook my head, deeming it a terrible idea. "If I release my zetsu and attack using my nen, then other commanders could find me. I highly doubt they'll all be within the same power range. I'll stay hidden before revealing myself to the king." It was a couple of days later that I had entered Easy Gorteau. While I was moving, I sensed someone near me. I quietly pulled out my Jian and got into a fighting positing. I held my sword with two hands and prepared to play defensively.

"Piper?" I heard in a familiar voice. I felt my cool look slip away. A young boy emerged from the bushes