Chapter 30

I hid in a tall tree at a safe distance from the explosion site. I could hear Pouf and Youpi's wails in pain. I assumed they found the king's burned corpse. For some reason, my heart went out to them. A small part of me wanted to wail and sob alongside them. However, my sorrow was not entirely for the king. My mentor, my hero, my papa was gone. I almost couldn't think about Meruem. I climbed down the tree, deciding to fulfill my last promise and get Komugi to safety. I walked under the cover of the trees back to the palace. I almost reached Komugi's position. Before I crossed the tree line, I heard twigs snapping. Silently, I ducked behind a tree. I peered around to see Pitou walking with Gon. Well, she was walking in front of Gon like a hostage. I felt my shoulders drop. I enjoyed Pitou's company. However, with the dead, angry look in Gon's eye, I knew I wouldn't see Pitou anymore. However, she had none of my sympathies.

"At least I can get Komugi to Killua. If Gon is here, Killua's not very far away. After that, I guess I'll go to Isaac's office," I thought to myself. I approached the tree line. I ran into the crowd of people. I found Komugi just as I left her.

"It's me, Piper," I whispered, "Come on," I took her hand and pulled her up. I abruptly froze, sensing a powerful presence speeding towards us. I pushed Komugi down in the crowd. "Be quiet," I whispered. She silently nodded as she clung to me. I looked up. I couldn't stop my hands from trembling. Whatever was coming towards us was powerful. My mind told me to drop everything and run. Run for my life and don't turn back. I held on to Komugi and stared into the sky. I could hear something cutting through the wind. Flying above me, I saw him. He was somehow alive. Meruem was alive and flying above me. I could feel my mind and heart fighting each other. Isaac died and nearly killed the king only for him to be resurrected. I felt a pang of happiness seeing that he was still alive. I couldn't stop a smile from forming on my face. I hurried through the crowd of people dragging Komugi behind me. I broke through the crowd and into the courtyard. I found Killua lurking around the perimeter. We made eye contact. He signaled me over to one of Knov's portals. I jumped in with Komugi still behind me.

"I need you to take this girl and get her to safety," I said. Killua raised an eyebrow at me.

"Why?" He asked. I rolled my eyes and explained to him the importance of Komugi. He nodded, taking Komugi from me. "What about you?" he asked.

"I'll be working on extermination. The only reason I want to make sure she gets out is because of a promise I made to someone. Think of it as a deathbed wish," I said trying not to think about Isaac. Killua didn't question me further.

"W-what's going on?" Komugi whimpered.

"I need you to take a deep breath and relax," I said soothingly. She did as I said and I responded with a quick chop to the back of her neck rendering her unconscious. She fell into my arms.

"What the hell did you do that for?" Killua gasped.

"Don't give me that," I growled before handing him Komugi, "She'll be easier to handle like this. Now scram," I watched as Killua left with Komugi. "At least, I'll know she won't die here," I said to myself before climbing out. I hopped into the palace through the window. I was immediately greeted by Pouf. I gasped and tried to jump back. However, he grabbed me by the neck and held me up against the wall. I gripped his arm trying to pull. My feet were kicking in the air.

"I told you..." Pouf growled, "You had your chance to leave but you didn't take it. Now, I'll make sure to end you. The king will never know you existed,"

"Ex..isted...?" I gasped. I couldn't fathom what he meant, "Why wouldn't Meruem know I existed?" My thoughts began to fade and my vision began to darken. Suddenly, he dropped me. I fell onto the floor coughing and gagging. I looked up and the King was standing next to him.

"Sire!" Pouf exclaimed, quickly kneeling, "I was just taking care of this pest for you," I met Meruem's unforgiving gaze. I couldn't read him. Was he going to kill me? He's looking at me like he's not entirely sure of who I am.