Chapter 4 - Callie

"Let them in."

Come on Nic. This is why I shouldn't have friends. I take a deep breath and send up a silent prayer that my meager life insurance will be enough to take care of Rachel, at least for a while. I mean I'm hoping to make it out of this, but if not, I've got to be ready.

"Please." My eyes bounce between Cupid and God. "Don't hurt her, she has asthma." I take a deep breath, counting to three to slow my own rushing heart and heavy breathing. Has it always been this loud or is it just this moment, this moment that feels more like hours.

"Her inhaler is in her purse. She's going to freak out and have an attack. Please. Just let her have it. I'm begging. I won't fight. Just don't shoot her."

The seconds between his answer and Nicole's entrance are the longest seconds of my life. I'm honestly running out of higher powers to pray to. But clearly one is listening and they answer me now.

"Deal," he says as if this was factored into his plan already. "Pretty Boy, Rave, time's up. Wheels out." The names fit with the way Rave's mask is filled with LED lights, X's crossing his eyes and a sewn-up smile that casts an eerie glow.

Nicole looks up as she makes her way in and lets out a shriek I hope doesn't make things worse.

"None of that now. Slide your phone over and dump your purse. I'll allow you your inhaler. Take a seat against the wall."

Nicole nods numbly, tears already leaking from her eyes and the racking breaths of an oncoming attack starting. "It's okay Nic. We'll be fine. Deep breaths," I say, trying to impart a calm I don't feel. Things have been worse, but I know how to deal with worse. These men are unpredictable, but God allowing Nicole her inhaler gives me hope that they aren't complete monsters. So far, the only one making me truly nervous is Cupid here, even if he smells spicy sweet like cinnamon and cloves.

Rave and Pretty Boy walk back, full bags loaded over their shoulders and Blake looking defeated between them. He's directed to sit next to Nicole and I allow myself a sigh of relief. He's trying to calm her down, rubbing her back and holding her to him. She'll be fine and I know she'll take care of things. She knows what's important to me.

Cupid shuffles us over and Pretty Boy takes up beside us as Rave, even if my brain keeps comparing him to the Hulk resumes his position behind us. Surrounded on all sides, there is no way I'm getting out of this and I already promised them I wouldn't fight. It was either the smartest or dumbest thing I've ever said.

God must have studied this bank. He doesn't even hesitate as he leads us down the hall to the back exit. On our way out, it's made clear why no one ever interrupted them. Banging and crying filter through the door. The door to the break room has been jammed shut with an office chair, same as the security office.

"When did you-" I splutter out.

Pretty Boy lets out a chuckle that sends shivers coursing through me.

I take it that's the only answer I'm likely to get. Outside, the weather has cooled and its clear a storm is due to come through today. You can smell the rain in the air, makes me crave a mug of cider and my weighted blanket. Par for the course I guess. It wouldn't do for the weather to be bright and sunny as my life falls apart.

Rave walks ahead of us, taking off his mask in the process and reveals a buzzed head of brown hair. Not much to go on, especially around here. He jogs over to a lightly mud splattered white Tahoe and we all pile in with me sitting firmly sandwiched between Cupid and Pretty Boy. God sits in the passenger seat, maskless, but with only the back of his head to go on, I can't see much. It's not as if it's in my best interests to see their faces anyway.

My eyes flicker shut and I duck my head into my lap as the men next to me start to take off their masks as well.