Chapter 1 - Kace

"My eyes are throbbing to the beat," I sigh.

Hypnotic in that brain rotting kind of way, the bass pours from the speakers. Each pound echoes in my head and my eyes squint as if that will possibly fix the incessant thumping that starts in the back of my head and radiates down to my toes. With the strength of the vibrations, I doubt a sudden case of hearing loss would even help.

Distance wise, it's not that long of a drive from base, but on these roads filled with speed traps and winding paths through dying towns with populations the size of a city middle school, it takes over an hour. The music doesn't help as I press my lips together and stare at the spider holding on for dear life from Dario's side mirror. Tenacious little fucker, I'll give him that. It helps to zone me out and let my mind wander for the briefest of moments.

Riggs is sitting in the passenger seat, chugging water like we're back in the desert. Like this, I can almost smell the dry air and feel the sunburn on my neck. Fingers locked tight around the metal canister, brows furrowed in concentration, it's clear he's gearing up for the strain on his throat being point man brings. My fists tighten and my teeth grind together in response. He doesn't need my pity and all it'd earn me is a punch and a glare. It's not your fault, he'll say. Lies. I know it was, is.

Last thing we need before a mission. Self-appointed, but a mission regardless. Can't approach it any other way.

Jaxson is staring off into nothing again with his air pods pumping classical music into his ears. I still have no clue how he functions with that playing in his ears constantly, but demons are always easier to deal with when you feed them.

Unnerving that stare, but at least it's not turned my way. Bastard has dead eyes in that too prefect face of his. Oh, don't get me wrong, he can fake it with the best of them. But I worry about him most of my brothers. Without us around to remind him he's still human, he'd probably be an unseen figure with a list of corpses up on some government most wanted list. He catches me in his peripherals and offers me a well-practiced lazy wink before dousing his hands in hand sanitizer and putting on his gloves.

Dario is most like me, I guess. Made sense with how he fit in with us so naturally. Easy going, although some might call him manic. Kid just can't sit still is all. Honestly, he's a bright spot for us all, not that Jaxson would ever say it out loud. Best he does is joke with him on occasion, but Riggs and I both know that he's basically adopted the kid as the little brother he never had. Broody asshole.

Dario's driving again, knuckles gripping the wheel hard even as he rolls his shoulders to try and loosen up. That's his demon to fight and nothing any of us do will make it better. It's why Riggs has him drive us to every job, though I can see the way Riggs' muscles tense when he thinks we aren't looking.

With Dario behind the wheel, his choice in music pummels my ears. I love the kid to death, but this electronic shit I can live without. Bobbing his head to the thumping beat, he slowly empties all of his tension into the rhythmic heartbeat of the drums. Whatever works I guess. Thank God we drew straws and I'm driving us out of here. I've got a playlist of real, proper music with guitars and drums and artistry. My hands are itching to get my fingers back on my guitar. I run through the chords in my head, Steve Miller Band easily getting my head right. It's not that I'm superstitious, I'm not. It's just something I've done since the first robbery. So far, we've had no problems. Mama Landry always said if it ain't broke don't fix it and that woman was the wisest I've ever met. I'm not about to break tradition now.

"Everyone's gear is good?" Riggs asks.

"Yes sir," Dario says without missing a beat. The kid can't help it. To him, Riggs will probably be sir until the day he dies.

"Always," Jaxson answers, not tearing his eyes from the scenery passing though the window. "Jammer is set to go when we are." Not much besides grass and trees out here with the occasional house and gas station, but this is his ritual. Memorizing the route and landmarks even knowing our route home is going to be a completely different way. He did the prep drive with Dario and I, but he's still looking for any deviations from the norm.

"Yeah. Everything is ready to go and double checked. We've been watching the place for a month. The branch president is out of town, the vice president has a business lunch at Gustavo's and we can expect the majority to be in the break room. Head teller should be locking up and security will either be making rounds or sitting in the security office. Small branch so there's only one. The manager will take her usual smoke break before lunch and Jax will get the back door. We've gone over the plan. We've got this."

I throw a hand on Riggs' shoulder and squeeze. "Four in, four out brother."

"Four in, four out," he repeats, the words a harsh whisper.