Chapter 32- Callie

I'm frozen, for once not out of fear, but surprise. Hints of his flirty side have always been around, but this bold version of Cupid is nice too. Very nice. I'm so confused. My head is a mess and I don't which way is up. While I want to go full steam ahead, I can't allow myself to be blinded by lust. I've already done that once today and that lead to the guys fighting and me spiraling.

"YYou're what now? I thought you said you were hurt," I sputter out.

His fingers trail down my arms, absently rubbing at my pinched skin, soothing the ache. "I am a little hurt. You ran out of here earlier like your ass was on fire, but I didn't want to push. Next thing I know, the guys are fighting, Boss Man is hollering for me, and you look...upset."

I snort at the assessment. "You can just say rough. I mean I was a bit upset, but that's mostly my own issues. Not Jaxson's fault," I say easily before slapping my hands over my mouth. I'm not sure whether or not admitting I know one of their names is the best idea still. Yes, things have changed, but how much have they really?

I'm still not allowed to leave.

Though my opinion on that isn't nearly as clear as it once was. A pretty cage is still a cage.

My shower only did so much. I need food, a nap, and a coloring book so detailed it will take all of my attention to stay within the lines. Not necessarily in that order.

Not seeing his face right now seems like a small mercy considering how loud the silence is as I wait for his response to my slip.

A huff turns into a full-blown belly laugh as he wraps an arm around my waist to keep me from falling off his vibrating lap. "I don't even know why I bother," he sighs. "Jax is gonna do what he wants at the end of the day."

Umm. Any elaboration would be great, because my thoughts have all taken off running off far beyond the four cardinal directions. At this point, they're opening multiverse portals. Super helpful little things.

"Might as well tell you my name. You already have half of it anyway," he says, spinning me on his lap so that my thighs straddle him and I can look deep into those brown eyes of his I could just dive into. "Dario Rossi, at your service," he says with a slight incline of his head.

Excuse me while I swoon at the cuteness. I'm sure my cheeks are as beet red as his are pink. It helps take a little bit of my nervousness away, knowing he's feeling it just as much.

"Alright, so that sounded way smoother in my head. Let's just pretend that's how it came out. Okay?" He shrugs, puppy dog eyes in full effect.

I can't help it. He's too cute. I throw my arms around his shoulders in a tight hug, made less than platonic by the tension growing between us. Yes, tension. Not the tree branch in his pants that we are both purposely ignoring.

"So smooth," I assure him with a grin that aches as it stretches across my cheeks, all lips no teeth. "Like peanut butter or late-night jazz on NPR. We're still good? Even though I-" I trail off, still unable to form the words, "with Jaxson?"

He muses over my words for a moment before he places a hand on each shoulder, capturing my attention. "Do you still want me, Callie Girl?"

How could he even ask me such a silly question? He's been the only one I felt comfortable with here, completely. Yeah, he may have come off a bit strong when we first met, but I know now that was just an act, an exaggeration of the sweet, funny, nerd underneath. Of course, I still want him. It's just now I'm realizing that maybe he's not all I want.