Chapter 40- Callie

It only takes three more rounds before Dario gracefully bows out only to return with a bowl of popcorn mixed with m&ms. At my confused face he offers me a bite. "It's the perfect blend of sweet and salty. Like trail mix, but better."

I take a hesitant handful, the gooey chocolate melting in my hand and coating it in a sticky mess. He's right. It is the perfect bite of sweet and salty.

I grin at him as I reach for another bite. Food must be his love language, that or just sharing.

"Can we get back to the game? By the way you have food in your teeth," Rave tells me from across the table.

A quick and not at all discreet check proves him correct. Joy.

"Whatever. Who's got next deal?" I ask. My adrenaline is coursing through me and I'm confident of at least two of the guys' tells. God touches his neck right before a bluff and Dario can't lie to save his life. Every moment of confidence or disappointment plays across his face like it was drawn on.

"Here," Jaxson says as he passes me a wet wipe, careful to avoid my dirty fingers.

"Thanks," I duck my head as I clean myself off ignoring Rave's annoyed scoff. My mother always said not to say anything at all if I can't say anything nice. My aunt's advice was a little different, but killing them with kindness usually works.

"Hand me the cards," Dario calls out. "I'm out. The least I can do is deal at this point."

"So, what happens if I win? We never really decided."

The guys share a look between them, a whole conversation playing out on their faces. Well, all except Pretty Boy. His sharp eyes convey all the words his face would never say.

"You choose," God says.

"Between you?" I cast a glance at Rave's scowling face, determined to ignore the way my heart jumps when he lets free that panty melting smile of his. Even if he'd never dare shoot it my way. "And the couch," I add. "Such a hard decision."

"You know you want to cuddle up with me Callie girl," Dario says turning those puppy dog eyes my way. I'm weak to them, but I'm trying hard not to let him sway me. I'm already sharing a bed with him tonight. I don't know if I could handle a second night wrapped up in his embrace. He's already managed to wiggle his way into my heart. The heart I once thought had bared entry to any other man.

"Always," I smile back indulgently. "How could I ever choose?"

God takes a slow sip on his beer, the gentle bob of his Adam's apple as he swallows hypnotizing. His tongue darts out to lick up a drop on his bottom lip and I swallow reflexively as he gives me a knowing grin. Oh, he's good. And what's worse is that he knows it.

I survey them all, knowing that my choice will change things once again. Being with Jaxson was a choice made in the moment, but this is a conscious choice, one that can't be taken lightly.

"My answer means nothing if I lose." I say instead, stalling against the inevitable.

"That goes without saying. Why are we even dragging this out? Cupid, deal," Rave orders.

Dario gives me a conspiratorial grin before he acquiesces to Rave's order, dealing out the cards until we're ready to begin again. Something about the glee dancing behind Dario's eyes tells me he knows more about me than he should. Cheater.

My hand is promising. The guys take a moment to peer at their cards. Jaxson's carefully blank mask goes back in place. God leans back in his chair in such a way that I want to slam the feet back down so he doesn't fall and hurt himself even more. No need for me to examine that reaction any further. Nope. That is a problem for another day.