Chapter 36- Dario

The blue light filtering glasses are working overtime to combat the hours I've spent staring at my screen. I tried multiple times to convince Riggs to get me a second monitor, but he urged me to make do with what I had. I have, but I can't deny a second screen would at least cut down on the time I've spent pulling up and reducing windows. It's a stupid sticking point, but I'm already working under less than optimal conditions. An additional monitor seems like a small ask at this point considering my workload. Security, research, both take an exorbitant amount of time and energy.

The printer hums with the latest schematics for our next job. Similar in layout to the branch we pulled Callie from, I expect a fairly simple in-and-out. Just like every other bank we've hit, it's not the layout and security that are the problem. It's people as Callie was so kind to illustrate. They're unpredictable.

I don't know why Kace was even on my ass about getting started on them. It's not as if we can really pull another job right now. Not only do we have Callie to think about, but because of her, additional heat. While it'll never leave my lips, he is right about that. Callie's presence makes everything harder.

And now all I can think about is the way she tasted on my tongue. Not exactly the kind of thing that keeps my head focused. The only thing focused is the blood flow to my dick.

I will it to calm down with the most depressing thoughts I can, Nina Tucker. Full Metal Alchemist does it every time. Better than any naked grandma mental image. The shudder that flows through my spine is completely involuntary.

Between Kace breathing down my neck about the upcoming job and his need to research it, Riggs on me about Callie, and Jax's OCD at an all time high, I'm spread thin. Not that any of them notice.

It's fine.

Really.

It's the least I can do. Hell, if I hadn't been so adamant that they let me in the field, none of this would be happening. But that's a story for another day.

Our family meeting only let me share the surface of what I had found out about our brunette vixen. The girl I see on my screen is a far cry from the woman wrapping herself around my every thought. Sun kissed skin and haunted eyes pair with a smile that doesn't reach her eyes next to a picture-perfect cowboy whose grip is just a pinch too tight to be loving.

A far cry from the skittish woman who bites back when cornered. Further research shows the cowboy in a police uniform, then a sheriff's deputy. Accolades decorate the man, with numerous pictures of him and his high school sweetheart Calista Wallis. A person would have to be blind not to notice the light dimming in her eyes between each photo. She's a ghost compared to the woman that kissed me like her life depended on it.

Digging into her reveals a lot less than I would like. Calista Wallis all but disappears three years ago. In her place springs up Calista "Callie" Danvers. Just enough of a history to keep anyone from digging too deep. A high school career spent in Dallas; she could easily fall into the cracks of such a large school district. A job history spread out amongst mom and pop shops who have since closed or chain stores with managers who no longer work for the company, suspicious but not unheard of. Her references seem to have checked out when called upon.

Nah, the spot that has a hold on my attention is the name on her gentleman caller. Colton Barnes, decorated officer and deputy. Son of Christopher Barnes, Grayson County Sheriff for the past fifteen years. Well, if I was looking for any red flags, there are about fifteen of them all dressed in cowboy hats and boots.

I suck my teeth at my luck. No wonder she wanted us to stay out of the county. I do not want to be the one who tells her where we really are. Someone has to stay on her good side.