Chapter 37- Callie

Dario has been acting squirrely. Less secret squirrel and more nervous, erratic type. Bringing it up is almost impossible. If I think about it, I've only known him for just over a day. Perhaps this is who he really is and I'd be insulting him by asking why he's being so...well squirrel-like.

A roadmap of how to interact with guys would be helpful. My experience is low. Okay low might be generous. Basically nonexistent would be more accurate and these guys are unlike anyone I've ever met.

All I know is that I hope whatever has Dario acting weird around me resolves itself before tonight. I agreed to share his bed and no one has told me differently even after this afternoon's thing.

Gah, it was sex Callie. Just say it. Okay, out loud may be a bit much, but out loud in my head counts. I think. It's the thought that counts and it's my head, my rules.

Sex. I had sex with Jaxson. Earth shattering, legs wobbly, mind blowing sex with Jaxson.

Lightning didn't strike me down and after a quick glance at my chest, no scarlet letter has appeared. Whew. After the way thing have been going, I wouldn't have been too surprised if one had shown up. It would be just my luck.

Handing off my letter to God and hoping it got sent was the most nerve-wracking thing I had done in about three hours. He didn't offer me promises, just took it from my trembling hand with a brisk nod.

It feels like every choice I've made since I got here has been wildly outside my comfort zone. Maybe this is what I needed to break out of my shell. Although meds might have been a simpler, less dangerous solution, but who am I but a humble puppet of fate. Needless to say, when I'm done with this ordeal, me and those crones will be having a very heated talk about what they deem entertaining.

My dramatic thoughts are interrupted by one of the men who stars them, freshly showered if the wet hair is anything to go off of. He makes his way to the kitchen and I watch from my seat on the couch as he begins to maneuver around the small space, grabbing thick rubber gloves and a short knife from goodness knows where. I could have sworn that God had hidden them all, not that I had much of a chance to search for myself. It wouldn't have helped much as my earlier escape attempt had shown. Even if I had managed to find the exit, stabbing one of the guys seemed like a stretch, both mentally and physically.

I'm just in the middle of wondering why he would need a bucket and a hammer when he pins the poor thing by its back legs over the bucket in the sink. I know the animal is dead, but still. The pounding of the nails sounds so loud in the otherwise quiet of the bunker. The bucket question is answered by the blood being drained from the animal.

I don't even want to know. The guys had made a few vampire references about Jaxson before, but surely he wouldn't. I mean, people don't normally go around drinking animal blood.

"It's good for the soil. The blood. The rest of the rabbit we discard around the area. Return it to the land," he says without sparing me a glance as he decapitates the creature.

My mother always told me my face was an open book. Guess it held a grain of truth. That or the man is psychic which would add a whole host of other problems to my ever-growing list.

"Two truths and a lie."

His lip quirks up at my outburst. "Are you asking or offering?

I'm not sure. Hell, I'm don't even know what possessed me to bring it up outside of my curiosity. I had sex with this man and knew nothing about him other than he excited and terrified me in equal measure.

This is a perfect opportunity. If he was going to kill me, he already had the perfect chance. Plus watching him butcher the rabbit itched some morbid fascination I wasn't even aware of in myself.