Chapter 52- Callie

Everything is hot and heavy. It'd be better if it was a dream. Alas, the very real weight pressing in on all sides is too real.

He's lucky I didn't scream. I would have once I woke up all the way. His callused hand across my mouth and the hand holding down my arms tells me he prepared for that.

"Let him sleep. I've got clothes for you in the bathroom if you want to change," Rave tells me before slowly releasing me. "I'll be in the living room with coffee when you're done."

"You're the best," I tell him on autopilot as I shimmy out of Dario's arms without flashing Rave despite my shirt's best attempts.

He looks shocked at my words. Honestly Pennywise would be my favorite person if he brought me coffee first thing in the morning so the bar is low, but I'm trying to honor this truce and no need to shoot down his offer of goodwill and caffeine.

In the bathroom I find my freshly laundered uniform and another one of the guy's shirts, this one a black turtleneck sweater to hide my bruised neck. My shoes have even been returned from wherever they were being hidden. A quick shower and scrub of my face that does its job to wake me up until I can drink some of that sweet, sweet bean water. I put it on, choosing the turtleneck and my shirt instead of the blazer and attempt to tame my hair with a comb that is way too fine for my longer, thicker hair. I search the bathroom drawers one more time because there is no way on earth Dario has the luscious hair he has with just this to manage it. A little snooping proves me right and I find his detangling brush and finally wrangled the mess my hair has become into a loose braid that's presentable at best. I may not get asked to be a hair model, but at least I'm not likely to be mistaken for homeless. I look cute, in a deer in the headlights kind of way.

It's hitting me as I step out of the bathroom that this is the first time Rave and I will be alone together without of the others in the room or at least nearby as a buffer. My steps falter.

"Your coffee's getting cold. I wasn't sure how you like it, but it seemed like cream was a safe choice. Sugar's all you though," he calls from the living room.

Yeah, he might be a jerk, but it's always with his words. He defended me when he thought Jaxson took advantage, he rescued me from God when I naively thought I could wake him from a night terror. He's never hurt anything but my feelings. I'll be fine. God told me to trust his actions and not his words. His actions have always been to protect me, even when he didn't like me. I'm not even sure he likes me now, but I know I'm safe.

"Sugar is a must, but otherwise not bad," I tell him as I add a hefty pour and stir.

"I'll remember that next time. Let's move." I follow along to the door while he inputs the code, his body blocking my view so I couldn't get any crazy ideas again. Last time wasn't even me. Pretty Boy left it unlocked, but I understand. I wouldn't take chances with my family or freedom either if I was him.

"Trust only goes so far Princess. Blindfold time," he wiggles his eye brows at me.

"Fine," I resign myself. The black fabric covers my eyes and I shift my weight to one leg as I wait for him to lead me like a toddler through the maze. My coffee is plucked from my hand and I'm quick to protest.

The shoulder to my gut and the heave into the air is not what I anticipated. "Really? This is how we're doing this?"

"Can't have you memorizing my steps Princess. Plus, things will go much faster this way. I'd like to be back before there's too much traffic on the road."

"Fine by me, but a warning would be nice next time," I huff against his back as I bounce along. Stupid muscles. They might look pretty but not when your head keeps slamming into it. Humming as we go almost makes up for the rough treatment, but god I miss hearing him sing. It was only once, but his voice haunted my thoughts when I least expected it.