Chapter 44- Callie

I try my best not to look like a newborn owl as I blink up into God's lightly crinkled eyes as he looks down at me in his arms.

"Disappointed by the lack of whiskers?"

If I could just get my subconscious to stop spewing every inane thought that springs up, I'd be unstoppable. Instead I look sweet, but unstable. I blame my next actions completely on the fact that I'm still half awake. It's the only explanation.

Running my fingers though his closely cropped beard, I hum at the surprisingly untangled bristly hair. "Yep, whiskers," I murmur assuredly.

Dario, who I don't know how I was able to forget was in the room, is unable to contain himself and lets out what sounds like a drowning cat's meow before devolving into a fit of choked laughter. "Whiskers," he wheezes out, before laughing again. I'd be concerned if God's deadpan gaze wasn't starting down at me.

"They're very nice whiskers," I offer weakly. Already I can feel the light pressing against my lids, demanding I open them. I wiggle around in his arms, aware of every spot where his firm body is pressed against mine. I don't exactly want to get down, but my brain cells are struggling to rub together in any way resembling intelligent thought when all I can feel is his warm, safe body and the stupidly good way he smells.

God sets me down and the backs of my knees bump against Dario's bed, urging me to take a seat. I do, scooting back and crossing my legs until I'm dead center of the bed, starting back at them in a kindergartener's power pose.

"Finally, I can think. You," I point vaguely in God's direction, "are distracting. You," I say to Dario, "are not helpful."

"You wound me Callie girl," he mocks with a hand pressed to his heart and puppy dog eyes and the wonkiest pout I've ever seen. It's more of a grimace since he can't keep a smile off his face for more than a minute when he's not in the zone working.

"Thank you for carrying me. My back would've hated me in the morning."

"Wouldn't want that, now would we? I'm gonna go ahead and retire for the night. You going to be all right tonight Calista?"

I spare a glance at Dario who is giving his best imitation of a boy scout's salute, albeit he uses two fingers instead of three. It's the thought that counts.

"I'll be fine. I have cuddles to look forward to. Isn't that right Cupid?"

"Cuddles and old DVDs all night," Dario agrees, moving closer to the edge of the bed from his desk.

"Have fun. Holler if you need anything," God says with a pointed look at me. "Goodnight Calista. Cupid."

The soft click of the door closing has me frozen for a moment before Dario flops on the bed, sending me bouncing as I try to hold my position. God leaving feels like parents going to bed at a sleepover. The real fun is just beginning.

"So, what now?"

"I wasn't joking about the old DVDs. Feel free to pick one," Dario says leaning over the side of the bed to pull out a plastic tub filled with all sorts of movies. "I will warn you though, I have been known to sing along to Disney."

"Anyone who doesn't is sus. It's an unwritten rule of the universe."

The movies look to have been organized at some point judging off the cluster of kid's movies next to the horror movies, but have now turned into some sort of semi-organized chaos. I move a few around, curious if the choices are any better than the meager library. There's not much point holding out hope.