1.07

The dance had ended and the prince and princess split ways

The dance had ended and the prince and princess split ways. Yeona walked over to the three boys she was with earlier, her head in a daze.
Minhyung rushed over to her. "Are you okay? How are you feeling? I can't believe that bastard had the guts to-!"

"Minhyung!" Yeona looked at the distressed knight. "I'm fine, really."
Her mind flashed back to the dance with Haechan, his warm smile pictured clearly as the two danced in sync. A smile unknowingly crept up onto her face.
"She's in love~" Chenle teased.
Her heart started to beat rapidly and her cheeks heated up. "I am not!"

"You're blushing!"

Yeona annoying glared at the boys and then sharply turned around. "Excuse me, I need something to drink."
She walked away, causing Minhyung to chase after her. "Wait!" He called out, but was blocked by the crowd around them.

The princess reached the dining table where an assortment of treats sat. She grabbed herself a small glass of punch, sipping it casually.
Her brows creased. In love? She scoffed at the thought, her heart beating faster. They must be insane!

"Princess," a voice said hushly.

Yeona gasped as she felt a warm hand circle around her wrist. She turned to look at the unknown person and locked eyes with them.

"Come with me," Haechan said.

Before she could answer, he swiftly led her away from peering eyes and out of the ballroom. The princess's heels could be heard clicking along the floor as they walked through the palace's empty halls.

"Where are you taking me?" She asked. Haechan turned his head around to look back at her. "It's a secret," he smiled cheekily which caused her heart to flutter.

Haechan led them around a corner and then through a small, hidden door between two tapestries. Yeona's eyes widened as she recognized the door.

The two walked out onto a balcony that overlooked the palace's front yard and village. Yeona awed at the lights below, the moonlight turning her black hair a slight silver as she rested her arms on the edge of the balcony.

"Do you remember this place?" Haechan asked as he stood next to her.
"Of course I do." She said, keeping her eyes fixed on the view in front of her. "We used to always come here when we were little."

He looked down at her and she looked up at him; her expression turned into a pained one.

"Why did you leave?" She asked in barely a whisper. Her eyes looked back and forth between Haechan's- as if she was searching for an answer in them.

He sighed, looking into her sparkling eyes thats shone under the moonlight. "I had to."

"But why? You left with no words. You promised me we'd always be together. And now you-" her breath hitched. "And now all of a sudden you come back engaged to my cousin."

Haechan's heart ached as he watched her pain throughout the years unfold. He was the cause of it- and he knew that. "I did it for you."

Yeona furrowed her brows. "How was it for me? How was leaving me behind 'for me'?" Tears began to fall down her cheeks and Haechan quickly grabbed both of her cheeks, gently wiping the tears away with his thumb.

"Donghyuck..." Her voice cracked and he looked into her glassy eyes, surprised at the name she had called him. "I tried so hard to hate you after you left, but deep down I knew I couldn't."
Yeona swallowed a sob, her heart aching in pain. "Why did you break my heart?"

He sighed, pulling her into his chest and into a hug. "I'm sorry, love."
Yeona wrapped her arms around his torso, tears cascading down faster. The prince closed his eyes, a hand on her head as he caressed her hair comfortingly.

"My father," he whispered. "I had to leave because of him."

"What do you mean?" Yeona looked up at him.

"My father claims to be good friends with yours but in reality, he hates him. Both my parents do. They hate how much power your kingdom has in comparison to ours. That's why he's making me marry someone else."

Yeona furrowed her brows and looked up at him. "Then why not marry me? Your father would obtain almost half of the power of our kingdom if we were married."

Donghyuck shook his head. "That's how much he despises your parents. He would never allow me to marry you- I don't get the freedom of marrying who I love like you do."

Yeona bit the inside of her cheek. "When are you marrying Haru?"

Donghyuck placed a hand on her cheek, rubbing his thumb along her skin. The warmth from his hand comforted the princess.
"I was supposed to get married when I first turned 18 but," he looked down into her eyes. "I managed to postpone it- for now."

"Why? You're going to have to marry her eventually."

"Because," he paused. "I'm in love with you."