1.10

Three days

Three days. There were three more days until the wedding. Yeona was riding in a carriage with Minghyung on their way back to the palace. She looked out the window, her mind going in circles as she thought back to what Haechan had said to her last night:

"I promise to find a way for us to be together. No matter what happens."

She sighed, watching the scenery past by as the horses pulled the carriage along.

"Is something the matter, Yeona?"

She turned her head and looked at Minhyung. "Not precisely..."
He gave her a stern look. "Don't lie- I know you met up with Donghyuck last night."

Yeona gasped, her eyes widening. "How-"
He snorted. "Please, the poor boy made such a ruckus jumping over the hedges last night, I honestly thought he could have done a better job."
Minhyung pursed his lips and paused for a moment to collect his thoughts. "I also heard what you both talked about last night."

"You eavesdropped on us?!"

Minhyung cowared in fear. "Only to make sure that you were safe! It's my duty!"
Yeona dragged a hand down her face, groaning. "How much did you hear?"

He twiddled his fingers, looking everywhere except at Yeona. "...that you both love each other and are planning to run away."
Yeona sighed, leaning back into the carriage seat. "Well I guess there's no use in hiding it now."

The princess played with the fabric of her dress before speaking again, "you know you can't do anything to stop me, right? I'm going with him- no matter what."
Minhyung raised a brow at her. "And you know that I won't stop you, right?"

Upon hearing that Yeona immediately looked up at Minhyung, surprised.
He smiled softly at her, "how could I hold you back from the love of your life? Yeona, if you leave then I won't be able to protect you anymore. But I'll be relieved knowing that you have Donghyuck and that you're living happily with him. Your happiness is the most important thing to me."

The carriage came to a stop, signally that they had arrived at the palace. Minhyung stepped out, holding out a hand to which Yeona took as she stepped out of the carriage as well.

As the carriage left, Yeona looked at Minhyung and smiled. "Thank you," she said, leaning in to hug him to which he returned.

However, the two were interrupted by a small cough and they both broke away, looking at the one who caused the noise. A small boy with a big, stuffed bag was looking at the two with big eyes, holding out a letter. "Message for the princess," he said.

Yeona took the letter, saying a small 'thank you' to the boy as he left the palace grounds.
"It must be from your lover," Minhyung teased. The princess playfully punched him, causing the knight to pout and rub the spot she had hit.

Yeona walked through the castle's hallways and up a flight of stairs to her bedroom. She placed the letter on her bed before getting undressed. It had been another exhausting day for the princess as she had to tend to her duties, and so she took the time to relax by taking a bath.

Time had passed and she was about ready to head to bed when she saw the letter on her bed. She undid the wax seal, opened the envelope and took out the letter.

My Love,

        Do you miss me as much as I miss you? I think about you and how your eyes sparkled like stars last night. It was truely beautiful and I felt as if my heart could not take it any longer. Regarding this Friday, I've begun preparations on our escape. Do not worry, I promise that nothing will go wrong. I love you.

                                            From,
                                            Donghyuck

Yeona's heart fluttered as she read Donghyuck's sweet words. Placing the letter in her drawer away from peering eyes, she turned off the lamp and headed off to dreamland with a smile on her face.

 Placing the letter in her drawer away from peering eyes, she turned off the lamp and headed off to dreamland with a smile on her face