xxvii. the promise of a lifetime

"We cleared it out this mornin' but didn't have time to check for loot," John was saying into the radio

"We cleared it out this mornin' but didn't have time to check for loot," John was saying into the radio. "Y'all okay to have a look?"

"Copy that," Kamille confirmed, before pocketing her radio. She looked between Alicia, Mía and one of the newbies who they'd rescued not long ago – Jessie. "We good to go?"

They all nodded and Mía gave her a thumbs up, making her stifle a smile.

"Grab whatever we can use," Kamille reminded them as they all walked inside the house, going in different directions.

Kamille took to the living room, knowing the others had been assigned different areas of the house. Morgan and a few of the others had helped someone out nearby there the previous day, so they were looting the surrounding houses before moving on.

As well as filling her backpack with anything useful, Kamille kept a specific eye out for any new books she came across when ransacking the living room. Despite all the rescuing they'd been doing lately, there was always free time that she spent getting lost in a book when she could.

Half distracted with picking some books that interested her from the bookshelf, she was startled when she heard a crash from down the hall. Knowing that was where Alicia was, she dropped everything and headed down there, towards the kitchen.

Knife in hand, she stopped when she came across a fallen table in the middle of the hall, blocking the way into the kitchen. Looking up, she realised there was an infected person hobbling towards where Alicia was stood, having come from the direction of the back door.

Cleared it out, my arse.

"Alicia, can you handle it?" Kamille called to her, shoulders relaxing as she lowered her knife. The lone infected man wasn't a threat – one slash and he would be no more.

But Alicia was acting strange, her hand holding her own knife, but not making a move. She simply stared at the infected man with empty eyes, allowing him to get closer.

"Alicia!" Kamille shouted her name, hoping to pull her back to reality, but she still wasn't budging.

"Hey, everything okay down here?" Jessie asked, coming down the stairs with Mía in tow, the both of them taking in the scene before them.