vii. what could have been

"How did you manage to get away from everyone else?"

Kamille smiled as she poured gravy on her mashed potatoes. "I just said we were tired and wanted to eat quickly. Wasn't hard."

Alicia laughed, making Kamille's stomach do somersaults. "So, this is our first date?"

"I guess it is," Kamille said, certain that her smile was permanently fixed on her lips. "Why? Did you prefer to go to McDonald's?"

Alicia rolled her eyes playfully, beginning to cut into the meat on her plate. "I mean, I definitely wouldn't say no to a McDonald's right about now."

Kamille chuckled, eyes following Alicia as she suppressed a smile. "Neither would I."

Alicia continued, "But this is pretty awesome, too."

"Mhm," Kamille agreed, "nothing more romantic than eating tinned foods in our bedroom."

Alicia laughed again, shaking her head. "You know I love it."

The two of them dug into their meals, grateful that it had somewhat of a decent flavour to it.

After confessing their feelings for one another that same morning, Kamille had made an effort to celebrate Alicia's birthday the rest of the day.

The two of them tried surfing outside, spending the rest of the afternoon at the beach, before the Brit tried her best to set up a 'romantic' meal in their bedroom, away from prying eyes.

"How does it feel to finally be eighteen?" Kamille asked her, quirking an eyebrow. "You know, if we were in England, you would legally be allowed to drink."

Alicia wore an amused smile as she teased her girlfriend. "I'm sure that everyone waits until it's legal to drink, Kam."