xiv. forgiven

When Kamille reached the hall, she saw Al guarding a door and figured it was leading to the room where they were keeping Kyan temporarily

"Kamille," Al acknowledged her when she saw her, worry etched in her features. "Hey, is Alicia okay? I heard what happened."

Kamille nodded stiffly, approaching her. "She'll be okay. How are things here?"

Al watched Kamille with concern but answered, "He's been quiet since we put him here. There's nothing in there that he can hurt himself or anyone else with, but I don't know... what are we gonna do with him?"

Kamille ran a hand through her hair nervously, ruffling it to distract from the uncertainty in the pit of her stomach. "I don't know... this is my fault. I brought him here. I need to talk to him. Help him."

"This isn't on you," Al said, shaking her head. "Don't go blaming yourself."

Kamille pressed her lips together and said nothing. If it's not my fault, then whose is it? Her shoulders sank with guilt as she moved to open the door.

"I can take it from here," she muttered to Al lowly.

"Kamille–"

"He won't try anything," Kamille assured her, eyes so focused on the door that she was surprised she hadn't burned a hole through it. "And if he does, I can handle myself. I haven't got any weapons that he can take." Not this time. "I'll be fine."

Al seemed reluctant, still hovering. "I'm coming back in a few minutes. If you're not out, I'm coming in."

"Deal," Kamille promised, finally lifting her eyes to meet Al's uneasy gaze.

Al gave her a knowing look, holding her stare long enough for Kamille to appreciate how much she cared, before leaving the hallway. Taking a deep breath to clear her mind, Kamille nodded to herself before heading inside.

The room was small – a staff room for the factory workers, Kamille presumed, but stripped of anything useful – and no longer used by any of them. Kyan was sat in the corner of the room, furthest away from the door, and Kamille swallowed hard as her nerves and guilt returned. Though the group hadn't found a use for the room just yet, Kamille never imagined it being used for this.