xxi. a setup

Kamille's ears were ringing, like someone was jingling bells right next to her head

Kamille's ears were ringing, like someone was jingling bells right next to her head. She tried to remember what the hell had happened, but as she forced her eyes to open, all she could see was smoke.

"...you hear me? Kam... awake?"

Trying to dismiss the ringing and focusing on the voice, Kamille looked around and soon found Alicia's eyes looking down at hers with worry. Before she could open her mouth to say anything, the brunette looked over shoulder and seemed worried before standing up and leaving.

Kamille grimaced as she tried to sit up, remembering they were in a helicopter crash, but a pain in her leg caught her attention. She looked down and realised her knife was stuck in her upper thigh. It wasn't too deep, but it hurt pretty badly. It must have happened in the crash.

She looked around and saw she was sat in the helicopter, the one they'd found and fixed up to find Logan. But it had crashed on the way to finding him and Kamille was lucky she was mostly unharmed.

Unfortunately, her eyes looked over the back and saw Morgan and John still unconscious. Luciana should have been there, too, but she couldn't see her and that was worrying in itself.

After pulling the knife out through gritted teeth, she looked around with racing thoughts distracting her from the fact that she definitely wouldn't find gauze anywhere nearby.

Taking a deep breath, she finally used her brain and took off her jacket and shirt, leaving her in a vest top. Using the knife that stabbed her, she cut one of the long sleeves off her shirt before putting it back on, along with her jacket, and wrapping it in two places – one above the wound to stop the bleeding, and the other on top of it to cover it up from further infection.

Knowing she couldn't do anything more for herself at that moment, she forced herself to stand up and was about to try and help the others, but a sound of footsteps behind her made her spin around with confusion.