epilogue

One year later

One year later

"I finally got everything I wanted. And Adam... you'd be so proud of me. I'm not just surviving like you were worried about, I'm living. I've built a home. And I know you'd love it. You all would."

Kamille paused, looking between the three gravestones engraved with her family's names. It felt stupid at first, building a graveyard and putting gravestones in without the bodies dug underneath. But Alicia was right, as usual. It was nice to have somewhere to go to see them, even if technically they weren't there.

"I know I say the same thing every time I visit you guys," she continued, squinting under the sun as she looked to them, "but this time is different. Today is. We got our first summer vegetables. Picked them this morning. We also finished building some extra living space. It's all coming together and it's only getting better and better."

She smiled to herself, eyes flickering up at the sky where she knew they'd be looking down on her. Everything was perfect and she could only imagine how much they would have loved it, too.

It was almost hard to believe that they'd achieved so much since everything went down with Virginia a year ago. They'd ended up getting captured by her, separated for a little while, but they got away. And even though they lost some people along the way, they'd gained so much from it.

Morgan had built a secure home at a former dam as he wanted, and Alicia went back to the old baseball stadium her mum had tried to protect. It would take a lot of work, but Kamille saw the determination in Alicia's eyes and knew that staying to rid the infected and rebuilt its defences would be worth it.

And it was.

They made it a home again, just like Madison had wanted. And Kamille had never seen Alicia as comfortable and carefree as she was than when they'd got everything up and running again. A year later and things were getting better. They had Mía living with them, along with a few others of their group whilst the rest stayed with Morgan. And newbies came in every few months so it was starting to feel like a community. Plus, Morgan and his people weren't far so they could still visit every now and then.