xii. forgive her

"Good thing you stayed with us, Kamille

"Good thing you stayed with us, Kamille. You finally found someone who needs help."

Kamille glanced at Morgan as he smiled at her knowingly from the driver's seat.

"It was luck," she said simply, before looking out the passenger window. Spotting a house with a red doorway, she pointed to it, saying, "It's up here."

After telling the others of Jason and Taylor's call for help, a small team of Morgan, Al and – to Kamille's slight discomfort – Alicia was put together to assist them. Jason said there was about a dozen or so of infected, so it shouldn't have been a big job.

"Hey, Jason, we're pulling up now," Alicia said into her radio. "You guys okay in there?"

Kamille held a breath as she awaited a response, but there was nothing. She exchanged nervous glances with everyone before pulling out her own radio.

"Jason? You copy?" she asked.

Still, no response.

"His radio could have died," Al suggested, before opening the car door. "Come on. We gotta help."

Kamille swallowed hard and hoped that was the case. They were just under an hour out from the factory, so it took time to get to them and she hoped they hadn't taken too long.

She got out the car, armed with a pistol and Oliver's pocket knife. The others got out, too, and the four of them sneakily made their way to the back of the house where the growling noises were coming from.

As expected, a dozen or so infected were scratching at a shed in the corner of the garden. The doors didn't seem to be broken, which meant nobody had gotten in.

"Okay, what's the plan here?" Kamille whispered, eyes scanning the infected.

"Is the house empty?" Al asked, looking over her shoulder.

"That's a lot of noise," Alicia said, nodding to the shed. "Any infected for a mile will be here, so it should be."

"We could get their attention, lead them into the house," Al said, looking between everyone. "Lock 'em in there. Get the guys. Run."