xv. it's temporary

"Can you cover your left eye for a moment?" June asked Alicia with a small smile

Alicia nodded, covering her good eye, and awaited her next instruction.

June raised a pencil in front of Alicia's face, a fair distance away. "There's an eraser on the top of this pencil. Can you tell me which direction it's facing?"

Alicia nodded, clearing her throat. "The ceiling."

June nodded and took a small step back, changing the direction so it was facing to the left. "How about now?"

"To the left," Alicia answered without struggle.

June stepped back again, turning the pencil so the eraser was facing the ceiling again. "Now?"

"The ceiling?"

"That a guess or are you certain?"

"It's– I– yeah, it's the ceiling."

"Okay, how about..." She stepped back, so it was facing the floor. "Now?"

Alicia chewed on her lip, trying her best to focus on the pencil, but she was clearly struggling. "I... I don't know."

Kamille pressed her lips together nervously, glancing at June, who lowered the pencil and wore a comforting smile as she stepped closer to Alicia.

"It's okay, you've made progress," she said as Alicia lowered her hand. "It's only been a week. Your sight is clearly returning."

Alicia seemed disheartened, but nodded. "Yeah, sure..."

"How's the pain everywhere else?" June asked, watching attentively.

"Tolerable," she admitted, pushing her hair behind her ear. "I've been using ice packs and I think it's working. The bruises, er..."