xviii. hypocrate

Kamille wrapped her fingers around the steaming mug of hot chocolate before her, eyes looking over it and unable to look away from Mía

"Are you gonna quit the staring? It's making me feel weird," Mía complained, shaking her shoulders with discomfort.

Kamille cracked a small smile. "I can't help it. I keep thinking you're going to disappear."

Mía shook her head, expression softening as she met Kamille's eyes. "I won't."

A small sigh escaped Kamille's lips. "I know."

Mía looked down to her own mug, half empty. Kamille had so much to say to her, to ask her, but she didn't know where to begin.

"I know about Ollie," Mía suddenly said, looking up.

Kamille's mouth went dry. "Mía... I... I don't know what to say. I'm so bloody sorry."

"It wasn't your fault," she reassured, a frown on her lips as she rested a hand on Kamille's forearm.

Kamille was surprised at how controlled her emotions were, since it was her dead brother they were talking about.

"How did you know?" she asked the young girl curiously.

Mía scratched at the wooden table with her fingernail distractedly. "After they took me, I was left to recover at their hideout. Then when I was better, Tyler took me back to the cabin to see for myself. He tried to tell me you were dead."

Kamille clenched her jaw, growing angry at the mention of Tyler, but choosing to stay silent as Mía continued.

"We went and I saw the grave you made for Oliver." She paused, adding, "Thank you for that."

Grabbing her hand, Kamille gave it a squeeze and nodded encouragingly.

"They said you left and wouldn't have made it by yourself," Mía told, before grimacing, eyes flickering to Kamille's. "Did he die alone? Ollie, I mean?"