xi. stay

Kamille knew that Oliver and Mía had thought she was crazy at one point

They were both kind enough to accompany her whilst she searched for her family after the dam explosion, and they said nothing as she became more and more desperate with every search, but Kamille knew what they thought. She almost didn't blame them.

Every blonde she saw, she thought it was Madison. Every brunette she saw, she thought it was Alicia.

She wasn't sure why she remembered a specific moment, but it came to her the evening after everyone settled in for their first night at the denim factory.

All she had wanted was a peaceful evening – having found the smallest, most inconvenient space she could in the factory, just in case she left (something she still hadn't decided) – and was prepping for bed when the memory came to her.

She was with Oliver and Mía, searching for the Clarks a few months after her leg had healed. They were at an inn in one of the villages, searching the place for supplies and any sign of life. Distracted by her worry of finding the Clarks, Kamille stumbled into a room of a small huddle of infected.

There were three of them, looking freshly-turned as their skin was clear, save for a few bumps and bruises, and their eyes were alert. Kamille caught a glimpse of a tattoo on one of the women's arms and was convinced it was Alicia, recognising that heart-shaped rose tattoo anywhere.

"Alicia!" Kamille cried, racing forward with her heart pounding in her ears.

Tears flooded her eyes as she tried to get a better look, needing to know if the infected girl was her girlfriend. Had she turned? Was she too late?

Kamille could hear Oliver calling for her, his voice sounding closer and closer, but she barely paid him any attention as she stabbed one infected in the head before slamming the other into the wall and piercing their head. That left the final one – Alicia, maybe – to hobble towards her slowly and hungrily.