viii. crazy woman

After walking for about half an hour, Kamille, June and Al managed to find a pickup truck to drive the rest of the way in

After walking for about half an hour, Kamille, June and Al managed to find a pickup truck to drive the rest of the way in. Things were going fine save for the fever Al was getting in the driver's seat, but they had to came to a stop at the side of the road when June's radio started crackling unclearly again.

"Go again, I repeat, go again," June said into the radio, waiting for the voice to come back, but it was silent. She nodded ahead, saying, "We should keep driving."

In response, Al opened the door and threw up outside, surprising Kamille and June. She sat back in her seat and breathed out heavily, a forced smile on her lips.

"Might not be my blood sugar," she said playfully, though it was clear she was in pain.

"You're burning up," June said, feeling for her temperature.

"No, no, I'm good, it's just a bug," Al retorted.

Kamille leaned between the two front seats and glanced at Al with concern. Before she could say anything, the three of them looked through the front window at the sight of Al's van speeding towards them on the road ahead.

"My van!" Al shouted, before starting up the car.

"What the hell?" June mumbled, before her and Kamille got belted up as Al began to drive.

They sped after whoever had stolen Al's van and Kamille could practically see the smoke coming from Al's ears.

"We don't even know who took it!" June told her, talking over the deafening sound of the engine working overtime.

"It doesn't matter, we're stopping that son of a bitch," Al said furiously.

Kamille swallowed hard as she clutched the door handle tightly. "Al, you need to slow down–"

"We've almost got him," Al cut Kamille off, eyes trained solely on her van ahead.

She kept driving and Kamille was beginning to get car sick, which probably wasn't the best time to admit.

"Al!" June warned, and suddenly, Al swerved the steering wheel to avoid hitting something in the road.

The car spun to the side and skidded across the road before coming to a complete stop. Kamille looked out her window and saw Al's van fading into the distance.