xix. a little bit of fun

"Come on, you got this

"Come on, you got this..." Kamille repeated to herself for the millionth time.

She unwrapped the bandages from her left hand until, finally, they were all off and she could see the cauterised area where her last two fingers were missing. She pulled a face, studying it closely, still unable to believe that she now only had three fingers. It was something that she couldn't imagine herself getting used to.

She stretched her fingers in and out before squeezing them into a fist.

"Definitely gonna take some getting used to...," she mumbled to herself.

Distracted by her hand, she almost didn't hear the knocking on her bedroom door.

"Yeah, come in," she called out, tearing her eyes from her hand.

When she looked up, she noticed it was Alicia and couldn't help but return her smile.

"Hey," Kamille spoke first. "Everything okay?"

Alicia nodded, stepping inside and hesitating by the door. "Yeah, yeah. I just– I tried to find you, but June said that you were taking your bandages off so I thought I'd check in and see how you were."

"Thanks," Kamille said appreciatively, before looking down at her hand again. "I'm alright though. It could've been worse, I guess."

Alicia took a seat beside her on her bed, looking to Kamille nervously. "Can I...?"

Kamille didn't know what to say except hold out her hand to her. Alicia outstretched her own hand and let her rest hers on top. Kamille watched Alicia's expression closely, not quite admitting to herself that she may or may not have cared what the brunette thought. Is she disgusted or am I just overthinking it?

"I'm glad it was your hand and not you," she finally said, looking up and offering a smile, which was reassuring to Kamille.