xxiv. just be careful

"Took a while to find some electrical tape, didn't it?" Kamille asked from her crouched position by the fallen radio antenna

Luciana waved it in the air with her good arm as Dylan trailed behind quietly. The two of them joined Kamille by the antenna and were about to begin mending it when Luciana's radio went off.

"Luciana, do you copy?" It was Morgan.

Luciana glanced at Kamille before answering, "I'm here, Morgan."

"So, we're at the coordinates that Dylan gave, but there's no camp here. No sign that there ever was."

Kamille furrowed her brows as her hands stopped working and she listened in intently.

"We're gonna go into the woods," Morgan continued. "If John and June come into range, tell them to meet us there."

Suddenly, before Luciana could respond, Dylan snatched the radio from Luciana's grasp and said, "No, no, no, no, no."

Kamille looked to her right at a panicked Dylan. He'd been strangely quiet up until now.

"That you, Dylan?" Morgan asked with confusion.

"Go to the old utility road," Dylan said with certainty.

"Why, what's there?"

"Just go," Dylan insisted. "Near the gas station."

Morgan sighed. "We gotta find our friend so that what happened to your brother and sister won't happen again."

"They're not dead," Dylan blurted out.

Luciana looked over Dylan and to Kamille with a puzzled gaze. As horrible as it was, everyone had presumed his siblings to be gone. Despite the hope they had that they weren't, they all assumed the worst. So this was definitely shocking to hear.

"What?" Morgan finally responded, overcoming his surprise.

"We lied," Dylan admitted guiltily. "I lied. We faked the whole thing."