19

"I'm worried the empañadillas are soggy

"I'm worried the empañadillas are soggy. I gave the chef specific directions-" Sarah put her hand on Magnus' forearm stopping him, "Magnus. Everything is absolutely perfect." She said with a smile creeping on her face assuring Magnus that his efforts didn't go to waste.

"Sarah! Magnus!" Alec greeted the couple with a smile on his face followed by Maryse and Max, Magnus gave Maryse a friendly nod as she handed him a bottle of champagne, "I heard you like to drink."

The warlock grinned taking the bottle from her hand, "Welcome, Maryse." He turned to Max with a smile, "Max, this is your night."

Maryse rolled her eyes before turning to the brunette who gave a small smile to the young shadowhunter, "Sarah, it's nice to finally to meet you." She started looking expectantly at the brunette, Sarah turned to the elder shadowhunter with a tight smile, "Why thanks Maryse."

Maryse smiled at her, "If you're Jace's family then you're our family." She assured putting her hand on Sarah's shoulder.

Sarah frowned tilting her head at the black haired woman, "It didn't seem like it when you ordered the hit on me and Jace." Maryse's smile faded letting her hand slide back to her side looking down in embarrassment.

"But it's all in the past, water under the bridge." Sarah said turning to look at the little shadowhunter, "Tonight is about Max anyways, right?"

Magnus cleared his throat realizing the awkwardness that settled between the two women, "How about a drink? Sangria for the lady, a Roy Rogers for the guest of honor." He suggested leaving the group to get their drinks.

After a while, Magnus, Sarah, Alec, Max and Maryse went out into the balcony, Magnus used his magic playing with Max to give him his present

Max huffed in frustration, "I don't see anything." Magnus smiled at the little shadowhunter, "That's because you're not looking hard enough."

The warlock snapped his fingers making a gift appear right in his hands, he handed it to Max who took it with glee, "Congratulations, young Shadowhunter." Magnus stated.

Max ignored the warlock looking at the present with awe, so Alec had to intervene, "What do you say, Max?"

"Thank you." He looked up at Magnus with wide eyes filled with curiosity, "Where's your warlock mark?" He wondered making the warlock sigh.

Sarah put her hand on the warlock's shoulder, she knew that warlocks marks are sacred to them, they hid it to be able to look more mundane, "Max..." Alec trailed off trying to get his brother to stop.

Magnus patted Sarah's hand before turning to the little shadowhunter, "It's okay. I only share with my closest friends." He stated letting his eyes light up becoming his signature cat eyes making Max flinch.

Jace slipped into the balcony unaware of what's going on between the group, Sarah smiled at Magnus' eyes letting her own eyes trail over each feature on his face.