Little Bit Later On

I was woken up by Blake shaking me about 5 in the morning. It startled me and I looked up at him. He pointed over to the desk that had a doctor at it. I got up looking at my boys still asleep and everyone else just there. Jason and Jess were now awake. I slowly started walking over when Miranda came with me. She smiled up at me. She was probably coming for some sort of support. I was hoping this was all going to be good news. I walked right up to them.

"Mr. Bryan?" The doctor asked. I nodded. He extended his hand. I took it and shook it. "I'm Dr. Patel. I'm the surgeon who worked on your wife." I nodded again.
"Is she okay?" I asked kind of slow.
"Well sir, come into the room with me and I'll explain everything." he said pointing to a small room that looked like a doctor's office. Miranda walked in right behind me. He shut the door and sat across from us. "This is for privacy." He clarified with me why. Which I didn't care. I just wanted to know how my wife is.
"Well thank you, but I more care about the well being of my wife and the baby." He nodded.
"Right, well I'm sorry to tell you we couldn't save the baby." My heart dropped. I knew that was probably coming. Miranda gripped my hand. "The pellets from the shot gun hit her right in her stomach. She had about 10 pieces scattered around her stomach and one that made it into her leg. We were able to remove everything but she lost a lot of blood. She lost consciousness on the way here. We had to remove the child and repair her insides. We had to give her a lot of blood to keep her alive. We did lose her twice. The second time was very hard to revive her. Right now she is hanging on by a thread but it can turn for the worse. She is currently on a respirator because her lungs gave out. We are giving her medication to keep her going and to make her stronger. She is sedated. We are not sure if she is going to wake tomorrow, in a week, in a month, or ever." My head hung low then. I closed my eyes not really wanting to hear more. He was giving me more bad news then good news. "We are trying everything we can to make her chances better. We are hoping she will recover quickly and we can take the respirator out. We can talk later about the child's remains and what you wish to be done. Right now there are no children allowed back there but two at a time are besides you Mr. Bryan. Would you like me to show you were your wife is?" I looked up at him. The remains of my child? That just shattered me into pieces. If Nikki makes it out of this she will be broken as bad as or worse than me.
"Luke, we can go then I'll bring Blake back after I explain it to them for you. Go see your wife." Miranda said squeezing my hand. I nodded.

The doctor took us back to where she was. She had her own private room in ICU. When I laid eyes on her I wanted to fall to my knees. She was hooked up to so many machines. She had a breathing tube down her throat. Her heart rate was slow and so was her blood pressure. Her skin was pale. Her eyes were closed and hands to her sides. She didn't move. Her chest did because of the machine.

"If you need anything there are nurses outside. If you need me then have a nurse page me." I just nodded not looking at him.

I walked up to her side and looked at her closer. Her stomach was smaller now. I grabbed her hand and it was ice cold. Miranda pulled up a chair for me. I nodded in thanks and sat still not letting go of her hand. She rubbed my back to comfort me. Nothing was really going to comfort me much since all that news from the doctor just came. I lost my baby girl and now I could be losing the love of my life. Miranda told me she was going to tell the rest of them and I just nodded.
I had Nikki's hand in between both of mine. I just looked at her face. It was hard to look because you would never think you could be staring at your loved one having a tube down there throat keeping them alive at this moment. I brought her hand up to my lips and kissed it for a long time and then let it go.

"See baby. I'm here. I told you I would be. I ain't ever gonna leave no matter what. Now it's your turn to hold up your side of this deal. You're a strong woman. You're so strong you hold me together and the rest of our family. You've been through so much more than you would have ever thought but you've made it. I promise you baby I'll be here every single day. I don't think the boys should see you like this. I don't think you would want them too anyway. I'm going to see if Jason or Blake can help take care of them while you're here. I may not be here every second but I promise when your eyes open I will be here. No matter what baby." I kissed her hand again. It was all true. I just believed she could hear me. It once helped me feel better and one made me think she knew that I was there and would continue to fight.

Blake came back with Miranda. They told me they will take the boys back to their place for the rest of the night. I didn't really talk. Jason and Jess came back. Jess was in more of tears again. I kept my head hung low but enough to where I could still see Nikki. Jason got her to calm down. He talked to me telling me everything was going to be alright in the end. I was hoping he was right. He put his hand on my back. He told me to call him if I needed anything. I just nodded. He knew I wasn't going to talk. Jess and he stayed in there for a few more minutes before they said they were leaving.
A little bit later it was 10 in the morning. I got about an hour of a nap then woke up to a nurse checking on her and me. She asked me if I wanted water and I agreed. I stayed in the room for a little while then decided to walk outside to clear my head and to get away from the noises that echoed in my head. I walked to my truck and plugged my phone in. My phone was at 15 percent. I had texts from almost everyone asking if she was okay. I guess it already hit the news. I decided to call my mama while it was charging.

"Good Morning Luther." My mama answered in her cheery voice.
"Good Morning mama." I said trying not to sound as upset as I was but failing horribly.
"What's wrong Luke?" She asked.
"Nikki's been shot ma. She lost the baby and is on a respirator she can go either way the doctor said." I gave her a quick summery. I didn't even cry. I had to be strong now. I had to pray and keep hope.
"Honey, I'm so sorry to hear that. You want us to come? Pa and I will get ready right now." She offered.
"Yeah Ma. I could use you guys right now. I have a record I'm recording, a wife in the hospital, interviews coming up, boys to watch, and not enough me to be in all those places at once." I told her.

I realized I have to put my album on hold, I still had to do some interviews, the boys did need watching because I can't just make Blake and Jason take away from their busy lives to watch my kids. Then I would need someone here with Nikki a lot. I know I was going to be and Miranda or Jess would be more than happy to be if I wasn't. Jess had more time but since they have two girls now who know how much she can do.

"Alright Honey, I'm gonna go get your father and we will be there by 7pm. Do you want us to meet you at the hospital or at the house?"
"House. I need to go home and get changed. I'm still in my hunting gear. I'll get the boys from Blake's too."
"Alright sweetheart. Keep your head up and stay strong. That wife of yours is a strong woman. She is a Bryan now and we get through everything." I smiled.
"I will mama. I'm prayin."
"I love you Luke."
"I Love you to mama." I said and we hung up.

This was going to help and hopefully comfort me more. I texted Blake telling him the plan. He quickly got back to me and told me he'll come by the hospital later before my parents come by so I can go home and they can watch her while I'm not here.
Blake and Miranda came by with the boys. I got Tate in his seat and Bo. They went inside to check on Nikki while I headed home. My parent's got there 30 minutes after I was home. I got the boys all cleaned up for night. My mom came through the door before I could even open it. She quickly came to me and gave me a hug. I hugged her tightly back. My dad then came through the door with their luggage and put it by the door coming over to hug me too. We stood there hugging. This was the most comforting thing ever. I may be a grown man but being in your parent's arms no matter how old you are keeps you in a happy place.
They went to see the boys in the living room and I went up to get changed and a shower. When I was in the shower I just let the water run over my head down my back. I looked down to the drain seeing the water run down it. This is when all the thoughts of Nikki came into my head. I had nothing but bad thoughts of her not making it and how alone I felt now and how much more alone I'd feel later. Also knowing that I would be burying my baby girl. The very tiny thing that could fit into one hand. It was still a baby who had lungs, a heart, and a brain. She deserved a burial. I broke down worse after thinking that. My cries were loud. The water was washing my tears right down my face.
It took me a while to regain my composure and finish up washing my hair and body. I got out and got dressed not even looking at me. I dressed in just a tee shirt, jeans, and shoes. I grabbed a jacket from the closet and put it on. I was about to walk out the bedroom when I looked back at my bed. It was neatly made. We did that before we left the house to find out it was a girl. I sighed and walked out of the room shutting the lights out and closing the door.
I waited around telling my parents the whole story while the boys were upstairs playing. I didn't break down but my mama did. She knew how it felt losing a baby girl. She lost Kelly. Well we all did but she was her mother and my father was her dad. They knew how it feels to be a parent to lose all but one of your children. I told them what I wanted to do and I wanted to wait till Nikki was awake. After that I went upstairs to tuck the boys in and off to the hospital I went.

___________________________________________

Thanks again everyone for reading! Please keep commenting and voting. Don't forget to check out my other stories. I also have another Luke Bryan story I would like to start. What do y'all's think? Should I or just finish the one's I have now?

-Pup